Baby Corner

Old 08-11-06, 02:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Hello, new here..

I am ttc #1, and just had mc on Aug 1...I run 3 miles 4 days a week, try to stay healthy- is it OK to be running when I am possibly pg (during tww) or should I limit my activity? I don't want to have another mc but I know that staying healthy will help my chances while ttc. Any advice would be appreciated

Old 08-11-06, 11:47 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Im not sure if you should stop running or not but you should ask your doctor and see what he/she thinks about it!

Old 08-13-06, 09:20 PM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I was wondering this myself-- I have 2 kiddos-- but just had a mc-- I run as well..... thinking I'm going to lower my intesity a bit.... just my opinion...

Old 08-13-06, 10:18 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 4.9%

I'm an avid exerciser, and I asked my doctor this very question after my m/c last summer. He told me that anything I am accustomed to doing is fine in early pregnancy, particularly before you even know you're pregnant. Once you start to feel some of the effects of pregnancy (tiredness, getting overheated more quickly, etc.), you should start ramping down your intensity. But anything that feels good to you is ok, as long as you did it before. The most current studies do not require that you keep your heart rate under 140, as the recommendations provided in the early 1980s stated.

The few things my doctor made me give up included racquetball and hockey. I gave up road biking on my own initiative, even though he said it would be ok for the first 4-5 months.

I followed his advice with this pregnancy (I'm now almost 35 weeks), and I've had far fewer problems with discomfort than my friends who do not exercise as actively. In fact, I'm only now starting to see some swelling in my feet. I've felt energetic and well for the bulk of the pregnancy. So I would say keep doing what feels good, as long as you're experienced.

Good luck to you both. Hope you are pg again very soon!

Old 08-15-06, 10:33 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Smile

Thanks for the advice! I think that it makes sense to listen to your body and do what feels good. I never push it if I feel tired, I just slow it down a bit that day. I think when you have a mc it is natural to question things you did, but I think if it's going to happen there's probably not much you can do to prevent it. We will just keep trying!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools