Baby Corner

Old 02-21-11, 04:41 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Default A little nervous...

I'm not nervous so much anymore about another miscarriage, but for some reason I was thinking today about what my Dr said at my last appointment about the serum testing and stuff. I'm not sure why I thought of it today, but that's what happened.

I know I've heard about a LOT of false positives plus if we did get a positive result it wouldn't change anything for us as far as keeping the baby or anything that way. So we always opt not to have the testing done. BUT with the last 2 m/c's, they were both because of genetics. The last one happened because of Down's Syndrome. Now I'm just nervous. I'd like time to prepare myself if something were "wrong", but at the same time I dont want the extra stress if we get a false positive either. I'm just not sure what I want to do, but I know dh isn't for all this extra testing either.

I know they can see SOME stuff on u/s and we can do testing after that if we'd want to, but obviously not EVERYthing shows up that way either.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? I don't know why I'm so nervous about it all of a sudden!

Old 02-21-11, 05:04 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I never did the quad screen, just because of the false positives and extra stress. I did do the nuchal translucency screening, which combined ultrasound with a blood test. I think you have to do that one prior to 12 weeks, so it may be too late for you.

I suggest you get the level 2 ultrasound and then see if you want to do additional testing after that.
Thank you rudolphia!
koala_kaper (02-21-11)

Old 02-21-11, 06:15 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2420%

I never did the quad screen either. It would not have changed the outcome for us so I didn't want the stress. We knew God wouldn't give us more than we could handle and if that was a special needs baby we would have done it. I didn't want to worry my pregnancy because of it so we declined. The nuchal translucency screening is not offered anywhere near here so that wasn't an option for us.
Thank you brandimichelle!
koala_kaper (02-21-11)

Old 02-21-11, 06:31 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

I did both the quad screen and the NT screening. I wanted to make sure that if there was a need, I'd be able to arrange the appropriate medical care to be available at delivery.

I wouldn't even consider termination under any circumstances but I wanted to commit to providing the best possible care for my baby as early as possible.
Thank you Dopey406!
koala_kaper (02-21-11)

Old 02-28-11, 09:01 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopey406

I did both the quad screen and the NT screening. I wanted to make sure that if there was a need, I'd be able to arrange the appropriate medical care to be available at delivery.

Good Luck with your decision. I'm sorry I was so late to weigh in!
Thank you Oreo!
koala_kaper (03-01-11)

Latest Articles
Delight Your Special Mom-to-be With These Top 10 Gifts
Dads, if you have run out of ideas to get that special mom-to-be in your life for the holidays, we've got you covered. Here are 10 gifts ideas that will delight her this holiday season.

2014 Holiday Gift Ideas For Babies
If you have run out ideas for what to get your baby for the holidays this year, here are a few suggestions for you.

14 Gross Pregnancy Secrets
If this is your first pregnancy, be prepared, as these unwanted pregnancy symptoms may crop up unexpectedly.

Planning for a Second Pregnancy: What To Expect
When considering your second pregnancy, there are a few things to consider such as child spacing, and health concerns. Use this guide to help you plan for a healthy second pregnancy.

The Controversy over the Most Popular Boy's Name in the U.K.
A few days ago, the news media made the world was aware that the most popular boy's baby name in the U.K. was not Muhammed.

November 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Little Pumpkin" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations urugby!

Calculators & Tools