Baby Corner

Old 01-24-08, 10:58 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%
Question Well, now what?

We saw the RE this morning. All of my tests came back totally normal. DH's sperm DNA decondensation test (SDD) didn't go so well. In order to be considered "normal", the results must show that at least 80% of his perm decondense normally within 15 minutes. DH's result was 61.2%.

According to the company who did the test, any result lower than 80% results in 100% failure rate. So that means that according to their data, we have a 100% chance of miscarriage if/when we conceive.

Another test came back in the "borderline" range, so that doesn't help our cause either.

So now what?

They're sending DH to a urologist to check for a varicocele--a varicose vein in his scrotum. Such fun.

I'm sure he's thrilled about THAT appointment!

I guess these varicoceles aren't all that uncommon and if one is found, it is likely the cause of the low SDD number. I'm hoping they find a giant, swollen vein in there and they can fix it with surgery. I guess a large number of men with numbers like DHs are found to have this varicocele, so I'm

that's what it is. It can be fixed with a minor outpatient surgery (I say minor but to DH, the thought of having surgery there is more terrifying then death! :scared).

If no varicocele is found, then we're basically screwed. He did say that there is a high success rate doing IVF with ICSI, but I don't think we're going to use any ART. So I guess we'll be left with accepting our family of four and leaving it at that.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around that thought and start warming up to the idea. We always find our way into the smallest percentage of the population in these instances, so the urologist probably won't find anything.

What would YOU do in our shoes??

Thanks for the insight.

Old 01-24-08, 11:15 AM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

ugh!

well- i would try and take it one step at a time-- don't get ahead of yourself even thinking about ivf or whatever until you know what dh's issue is for sure............

you have alot on the brain right now just processing the above info!

Old 01-24-08, 11:18 AM
is hoping for good news soon!
VIP Member

Thanked 123 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Deanna I'm so sorry. When our RE told us we had a 3% chance of ever getting pregnant based on sperm dna testing we felt heart broken. He said we would never be able to change the results.

I did a bit of research and after about 6 months we were able to get those results up to 100% chance based on dna testing. Our RE was shocked. In fact they actually asked us if dh did drugs before and stopped. lol Email or call me and I will share how he did it. It's worth a try right?

Old 01-24-08, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

Thanks, Kelli & Susanne.

My head is spinning. It's the 100% miscarriage rate that spins my brain.

Old 01-24-08, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

I'll send you an email, Susanne.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools