Baby Corner

Old 05-22-08, 04:05 PM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

I can understand your frustration, but I wonder if the urologist isn't giving you all the options.

When DH went to his urologist and got his diagnosis of germ cell aplasia/steroli cell only syndrom, the guy had the nerve to say flat out that the only way we'd ever have a family was by adopting or by cloning technology which he figured would be an option in the coming years. Our diagnosis was a bit more severe than yours sounds, but the point is he left out options which would have been good to mention. Donor insemination for one. That's what we ended up going with and we are thrilled with the family we have now.

Obviously, i don't know all the details of your situation, but here's my 2 cents from the info i've gleened over the years TTC. Sorry if it's unwanted. If your DH has a physical obstruction that doesn't allow sperm to travel down his tubes, then yes I can see why the urologist is sugesting IVF for a biological child. If the cost of IVF is a huge issue and biology doesn't matter to you, the donor insemination may be something to think about. It's not cheap and can get as costly as IVF if it takes multiple tries, but if it works quickly or you have medical insurance like ours, then a donor can save $$.

On the other hand, if it's an issue of the pipes are clear and he just has trouble ejaculating, then I wonder about exploring things a bit more. I have read that paraplegics have been able to father children even though they can't ejaculate on their own. The process involves putting a prob up the anus and applying a specific kind of stimulus. Not a nice thought, but it will cause ejaculation in men who might have problems in that area. If the pipes are clear and production in the testes is normal, then you could get some good old baby juice to use. Without the big bucks of IVF.

Bottom line, don't give up. Oh and I'd suggest making a voodoo doll of you urologist. Great for letting out those frustrations at their stupidity and less tracable than exlax brownies.
Thank you Saira!
tiaonia (05-23-08)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools