Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Newborns & Infants Bruising/discoloration around mouth?

Bruising/discoloration around mouth?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 08-30-06, 05:53 PM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 256.36%
Question Bruising/discoloration around mouth?

Aislinn woke up from her late nap and DH noticed that from the corners of her nose, all around to under to her bottom lip there is an evenly distributed discoloration that looks like a bruise. She hasn't bumped her face on anything; she has been sucking her bottom lip like crazy (teething) and this afternoon the nipple on her bottle was blocked and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. That wouldn't cause bruising, would it? Anyone have any ideas? She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but it was a little startling.

Old 08-30-06, 06:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.82%

Does she take a pacifire?

Old 08-30-06, 06:31 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

well, not to alarm you, but it sounds like blue lips from not enough oxygen or an immature circulatory system.
I'm told it's pretty normal as long as it's just mouth, hands,& feet.

watch her and make sure it pinks up. if it's the whole body, then it's time to be alarmed.

Last edited by skyqueen; 08-30-06 at 06:38 PM.

Old 08-30-06, 07:10 PM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 256.36%

She rarely takes a pacifier.
Thanks, I'll check that link. Her lips aren't actually blue, just around her mouth. Her hands and feet look OK too.

Old 08-30-06, 07:15 PM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

I know when my kids were infants their hands & feet would often be ICE COLD. My older ones fingertips sometimes had a blueish tinge. The Dr said that was due to the circulatory system getting into it's groove.

The website that Skyqueen posted sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation!! I'd never seen it around the mouth... but since the head is also an extremity, it makes sense.

Latest Articles
13 Ways to Naturally Relieve Morning Sickness
Is morning sickness getting you down? Here are 13 ways to help calm your stomach, and relieve morning sickness whether you have it in the morning, afternoon, or all day.

Milk Allergy in Infants
Sometimes it's difficult to tell if your baby is sick, or if s(he) has a milk or forumula allergy. Learn the difference, the symptoms and treatment options of milk allergies in infants.

Here's Why Eating Organic During Pregnancy Is Better
During pregnancy, it might be wise to switch to eating organic foods for the health of your baby. Learn why.

BPA Exposure and Infertility in Women
BPA seems to have an effect on infants, children, and pregnant women, and there also seems to be a link between BPA and infertility in women.

Kate Middleton Suffers Severe Morning Sickness in Second Pregnancy
Kate Middleton is once again experiencing severe morning sickness, or hyperemesis gravidarum, in her second pregnancy.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations nwad2470!

Calculators & Tools