Baby Corner

Old 05-16-07, 11:27 PM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question chocolate?

Is chocolate a pretty common allergy? I am making a egg/dairy free cake for Cora's smash cake (anyone have a good recipe?) and I bought some milk chocolate whipped frosting. I thought for sure there would be milk, but nope, no dairy at all. She's never had chocolate though - most has dairy so I've never given her any. Should I go out and buy different frosting or maybe give her a little to see if she has any problems with it? I know they tested her for it with the scratch tests, but everything came back negative (although a bit iffy). What do you think?

Old 05-17-07, 08:00 AM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

If the scratch test came back negative and so did the blood test (whenever you get the results) I would go with the chocolate frosting if you want. My doc said chocolate is a tier 2 allergy. Lots of kids who have allerigies like Ryan has are also allergic to chocolate but Ryan appears to have missed that one. I have used chocolate frosting on a cake I made Ryan before to help mask the taste of no wheat flour, milk, or egg cake!

Sorry I have no recipes as I bought a premade cake mix. I don't think most mixes have or use milk and you can substitute dairy free butter ( I use Smart Balance LIGHT). Good luck!

Old 05-17-07, 12:18 PM
is wondering around the boards again!!
Mommy of 3

Thanked 316 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I did a search for egg/dairy cake recipe, and here is what I found, My aunt does the baking powder/viegar for egg substatute (sp??) Good Luck
I got this one here

1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (look carefully at allergen list)
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 banana (ripe and mashed) or you can use 1/3 cup apple sauce
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350.
Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake papers.
Using an electric mixer on low speed, blend the ingredients together (in order) until moistened (approximately 30 seconds) in a large bowl.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and blend on medium speed for another 2 minutes.
Pour the batter into the muffin cups.
Bake according to the directions on the box (this batter can, of course, be used for making cakes of different sizes, not just cupcakes).
Be careful not to overfill the cups. This recipe truly does make 24 cupcakes.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Frost with a purchased dairy and egg free frosting or make your own to use.
I find that they are less crumbly if you refrigerate them overnight before serving.

Last edited by MImom23; 05-17-07 at 12:20 PM.

Old 05-19-07, 07:49 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I think if the scratch test came back negative, it should be okay.

Old 05-23-07, 11:32 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I've given Denton Ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate chips, which don't have milk and he did fine with them. He's allergic to everything!

Here's a cake recipe I've used before:

BIRTHDAY CAKE

3 cups oat flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup soy/milk free margarine
MIX- 3 Tbs water, 3 Tbs oil, 2 tsp baking powder (to replace egg)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder (yes...more powder...the other one is being an egg!)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat all ingredients with a mixer (make sure you mix the egg substitue separately and then add to the mi

. Grease/flour (oat) 2 cake pans
Bake 40-45 minutes at 350. (Or you could make cupcakes)

Latest Articles
Gaining Too Much or Too Little Weight Linked to Obesity in Children
A new study from the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology has found that women must gain the right amount of weight during their pregnancy to prevent childhood obesity.

Overprotective Husbands During Pregnancy
Is your husband driving you insane by being too overprotective during your pregnancy? Here are ways to handle this common problem without getting into a fight.

Why You Missed Your Period When You are Not Pregnant
Find out what the cause might be when you have missed your period, but a pregnancy test had a negative result.

Getting to Know Baby Before Birth
Want to get to know your baby before birth? Here are seven ways you can bond with your baby during pregnancy.

When Your Child Won't Potty Train
You're all excited to begin potty training and feel this will be a breeze, however your toddler has other plans. If you toddler is being difficult and refuses to potty train, follow these tips for success.

November 2013 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations briannashae123!

Calculators & Tools