Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Newborns & Infants CRYING IT OUT METHOD VS JOYFUL CRIB TRAINING SLEEP

CRYING IT OUT METHOD VS JOYFUL CRIB TRAINING SLEEP

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-20-16, 12:52 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 500%
Default CRYING IT OUT METHOD VS JOYFUL CRIB TRAINING SLEEP

CRYING IT OUT METHOD VS JOYFUL CRIB TRAINING SLEEP
TRAINSITION FROM BASSINET TO A CRIB 

Dear Moms-to-be and/or current Mothers
I would like to share our experience of using joyful crib training to have your little one sleeping in the crib WITHOUT using the crying it out method.
Our daughter Khaleesi is 2 1/2 months now and we really did not want to use the crying out method. I came across an article written by a mom who used this method. I also think this method worked much better for all of us and it taught our child to provide a positive response. It took us 3 weeks and now our baby is sleeping in the crib.

Everyone knows about CIO method and I really want to share with you and recommend trying this before you attempt the CIO method.By now, you are probably wondering what is this Joyful Crib Training!!! (By the way I have come up with this name) LOL
Here are the steps:
Week 1:
First week, spend as much time as you can in her room; Feed, change and play with her.After a few days it can get overwhelming, since you are in her room most of the time. Don’t dismay, it is worth it, as you don't have to listen to your baby crying, especially if you are first time mom like I am.
Within the first week, put familiar toys in her crib and have her play in it.The minute she starts crying, pick her up.The whole idea is not to have her cry in the crib. And never leave her in the room alone. You will see the progress right away.Khaleesi went from 5 minutes playing in the crib to 30 minutes. Each day we reached a new milestone. Do not attempt to have her nap in the crib yet.Her naps should stay as they are; If it's a swing, sleeping pillow or basinet.
I have started her play time in the crib after each feeding and change of a diaper as I knew she was a happy baby when dry and full. I even ended up putting her Kick and Play Piano Gym in the crib for play time. Get creative, each child is unique in his/her own way.
Week 2:
Continue to spend time in her room but now add another element. We’ve moved her swing to her bedroom so she can start napping in her room. Each time, she ended up napping from 15 minutes to a full hour after few attempts.Another milestone met and it will make you feel so good to have accomplished another step. Again, do not attempt to have her sleep in the crib yet.This is step by step process.

Week 3:
Continue to spend time in her room but not as much, give her luxury to play in the other rooms as well (Living room, your bedroom, etc.)Again, you will add another element by trying to put her down for a nap in her crib once a day at the beginning of the week.The minute she cries, pick her up and put her in the swing so she can continue her nap time comfortably. Again, progress was made. She went from a 10 minute to 50 minute nap in her crib.Continue this progress and start adding more than one nap in the crib, gradually.I did up to two naps in the crib and the rest in the swing so she can get quality of sleep therefore, you don't end up with a cranky baby.
Week 4: (Recommended to do this on the weekend)
I've started on week 3 Friday night.It might require you sleeping in her room for a few nights; it all depends on your baby.Friday night, I ended up giving her a warm bath before her feeding time. I increased her food intake by 1 ounce. She fell asleep while eating and I swaddle her and put her in the crib.She wasn't too happy about it but she did not cry.I stayed with her in the room and put some white noise music on and just quietly kept telling her to close her eyes and go to sleep. I also used the Shhhhhhhhhhh sound.If your baby starts crying, remove her from the crib and place her in her basinet.It means you will need to continue with the naps and try it again next weekend. Another tip, give your baby a massage before bed time.
Make sure to continue giving her an extra ounce before bed time. Not only will this help with the transition but it also might give you an extra hour to two of her sleeping in.

I was able to get her to fall asleep in her crib without crying and slept in my bed. She ended up waking up in the middle of the night.I ended up going to her room (do not pick her up from the crib unless she is really crying) and calm/soothe her with a pacifier, etc. That night, I slept on the blankets in her room for a few hours then went back to my bed.I would suggest preparing some sleeping stuff that night, air mattress or whatever you have in the house to make your sleep more comfortably.
As she did so well, I stopped putting her in the crib for her daily naps and only in her swing but still in her room as a reward.(I know my child loves napping in her swing)
Next night, it was easier as my husband came up with a great idea. We took the extra infant cushion from her swing because it’s a comfortable feel and laid her down in it in the crib. She still woke up in the middle of the night so my husband took a turn to stay with her in her room.Your presence makes the baby feel safe as she is so used to sleeping in the basinet and having you in the room.
By Sunday night, things went much easier. She ended up waking up in the middle of the night but I held back on going to her room.She only fussed for a few minutes and ended up falling asleep.
Now she sleeps in her crib. I still use the cushion from her swing for another week and then I will remove that as well.
Summary
This method can take up to 6 weeks depending on your child. Also, you will think of adding some stuff which will help her fall asleep easier as each child is different.Khaleesi still likes to be snuggled so I always swaddle her to make her feel more secure.
This method is not easy and it requires time but I would much rather take my time and have my baby sleeping in the crib with joy rather than do the cry it out method.As a mother hearing your child crying, it is very stressful and we can cave in very quickly.I told my husband, if this doesn't work after six weeks, we would try crying out method but we got lucky and we didn't have to go that far.
I feel that our child is so happy and even when she wakes up in the morning hungry she is not crying but rather smiling and trust me, our child is a little hungry monster.She can eat up to 32 ounces per 12 hours at 2 1/2 months old.I am so happy we have tried this method as the end result is ‘priceless’ and you feel so proud of your accomplishments. With this said, I decided to share this with the hope that you will be able to achieve the same results or even better. And your child will love you even more; more smiles, less tears.

Thank you for reading this and
“GOOD LUCK”
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools