Baby Corner

Old 07-22-12, 02:21 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 2095.45%
Default Expensive gadgets

Now that we're in the shopping mood for our new addition, we've been spending a lot of time comparison shopping. I have realized that you can spend a little or a lot on many items. Some wise mothers give advice not to invest too much on products that have very short term uses: like onesies.

But how about the equipment you hope to use for a long time, and frequently? Would you invest in a $100 ear thermometer or $300 breast pump, while cheaper alternatives are available?

Old 07-22-12, 11:33 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 3069.09%

I would def invest in a good breast pump like Medela brand ones. If you are going to be pumping a lot, say several times a day b/c you have to return to work, then yes- a hospital grade breast pump is the best option.

Are you having a baby shower though? Many of your "bigger" items like a swing, bassinet, bouncer, strollers, carriers, bottle warmers, changing pads, and just about everything else along with all the little stuff can go on your registry. Some people may all chip in together to get you a really expensive gift while others will stick to the small, cheaper items, and then others will just give you gifts cards. But those can add up and you can use them towards whatever else you need. And I am a BIG believer in consignment shops- you can get some barely used items for 50% less than the brand new price.

Old 07-23-12, 11:09 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2095.45%

Thanks very much for the advice MrsS1stbaby. I'm not going back to work right away, but for those times when I'm out of the house and (hopefully) hubby fullfilling the daddy duties, I was hoping to get one.

I'm trying to finalize my registry, but that takes a lot of comparing, picking and choosing too. I will definitely check out the consignment shops as well. You give great advice, much appreciated

Old 07-23-12, 11:46 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 3912.27%

I had a nice Medela pump but since I breastfed exclusively and rarely bottlefed, I found that the hand pump that came with it worked well for me.

Each of our babies liked different things: our first loved sleeping in the the swing. The second liked the bouncer. Our third loved the bassinet. It's hard to know. I wouldn't spend a crazy amount a thermometer--a simple $15 digital will suffice. The most accurate way to take a temp is rectally anyway and that's difficult to do with an ear thermometer.

Consignment shops are a good place to look and Craigslist is good, too. I wouldn't invest in much until after your shower(s) proivded those are in the works.

Old 07-24-12, 12:51 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2095.45%

Thanks very much Dopey 406!

Latest Articles
Humor in Pregnancy and Parenthood a Necessity!
There sure are stressful times during pregnancy, and in being a parent, but humor in pregnancy and parenthood is a must have if you're going to survive!

Baby Development: When Will Baby Be Rolling Over
Find out when to expect your baby to roll over, how to know he's ready, and how to keep your baby safe when the rolling begins.

When Becoming Parents Kills Your Coupledom
It's a common problem after baby arrives to forget about the most important part of your family: Your Marriage. Find out why marriages seem to fall apart after baby, and how to get back to being the couple you once were.

How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

Celebrity Baby News: August 2014
August 2014 was hopping with new celebrity births and pregnancy announcements from celebrities like Christina Aguilera, Kelsey Grammer, Christian Bale, and Christina Ricci. Get the details here!

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools