Baby Corner

Old 06-25-06, 12:45 AM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2820%
Default Gripe water experiences?

Two friends of mine highly recommended gripe water for gas and colic; they called it their miracle drug for their colicky babies. Aislinn's gas hasn't been horrible, but she does suffer, so I figured why not try it? In the 4 days since I've started giving it to her before a bottle (and not even the full dose), she has gone from late afternoon/early evening fussiness to full-blown colic crying, seems to have more gas, and has started spitting up after almost every bottle when she never did before. Tonight she puked a puddle onto the kitchen floor.

Could this possibly be a coincidence? She's almost 5 weeks, which is nearing peak time for colic and crying; I just think it's odd. I'm going to stop using it for a few says and see what happens. I've also switched to Playtex nursers to reduce her gas. Has anyone else tried gripe water and what were your results? It has an excellent rep for relieving colic, but who knows, may be she's allergic to it?

Old 06-25-06, 12:49 AM
Workin' My Ovaries Off

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

i loved gripe water, but we only used it for a very short time (two months). it helped out a lot with the colic, but the first time we used it i gave it to her right after she has eaten... it all came back up. later, i did it on an empty stomach and then waited a few minutes to feed her. no problems then! hope it helps!

Old 06-25-06, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I have never used gripewater, as I have heard conflicting info about it, but I use the Mylecon drops and they work wonders if the colic is true gas

Also, some babies show lactose intolerance at about this age. If she continues to really spit up and be fussy, you may want to try Lactose free formula (don't bother with the soy crap, as if they are sensitive to lactose, they are often sensitive to soy too) She may need an even more broken down formula such as Nutramigen. Best of luck!!

Old 06-25-06, 10:00 AM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I used both Gripe Water and Mylicon Drops with both of my kids at times. I found that NEITHER really solved the problem... but both made ME feel a little better (I was at least doing SOMETHING) as I gave it to them!!

Both of my kids spit up when they were babies... one more than the other... but I don't think the water/drops caused it. They spit up whether they had the water/drops or not!!

ANYWAYS... I think it's a good plan to stop using the Gripe Water for a day or two and see what happens!!

Is she spitting up after EVERY bottle?? And is it A LOT after every bottle?? If she has a projectile spit-up of most of her bottle every time... she most likely needs to get her formula switched!! If it's just a mouthfull (sorry, gross), that, unfortunately, can be "normal" for some babies. They DO grow out of it though!! When she starts on cereal in a few months it will get much better!!

Old 06-25-06, 10:55 AM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2820%

I do realize that some spitting up is normal, but she literally never did it until I started the gripe water. I've tried Mylicon but that idn't seem to help either. Oh, well. Thanks!

Last edited by ~babydoll~; 06-25-06 at 11:15 AM.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools