Baby Corner

Old 06-05-06, 12:21 AM
is hoping for good news soon!
VIP Member

Thanked 123 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default help with a unhappy newborn

How do you get a unhappy newborn to sleep in her crib or anywhere but your arms for that matter?

My sisters new 13 day old baby just is having a heck of a time sleeping. My poor sister is beyond tired and really needs some help.

Every time she lays the baby in her crib, she wakes up within 5 minutes screaming.

She has tried swaddling, changing the sheets, making it harder, making it softer, and recently adding her shirt to comfort her new baby with her smell.

She really wants her child to sleep. Right now the baby is ending up sleeping most the time not in a deep sleep on her pillow top bed where neither my sister, or her husband are getting any sleep. It's either that or in her arms, and you can imagine is not working.

Any thoughts to get the baby to sleep in her crib?

Old 06-05-06, 12:29 AM
Mom to Eli and Owen

Thanked 55 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Well, swaddling worked wonders for us, but you say it's not working here. I would try and put baby down before she's asleep. When she's drowsy. I read Healthy sleep habits Healthy child and it told me signs to watch for, I was then able to put Eli down awake, I still can and goes off my himself. Does she have one of those things in her crib to prevent her from rolling over? When she's waking up what's she doing, is she startled? Has she tried a pacifier yet? Is she hungry? *if she's breastfeeding (I had trouble with my milk.) Is she spitting up any? Just some thoughts. Once I figured out his eating habits, then sleep came better and then I figured out the sleeping thing even better. It almost sounds like she's hungry?

Old 06-05-06, 12:30 AM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 420%

That's rough!! I'm not sure what to say...I let my baby sleep in the carseat until he was 2 mos old. He seemed to wake up alot if he were lying flat.

I hope she finds something that works- and fast!!

Old 06-05-06, 12:34 AM
CL & Mommy of 2 girls!

Thanked 132 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm afraid I don't have any advice. At 5 months, Becca still sleeps in her swing.

She doesn't like to lie flat and even if she is asleep, she tries to roll over (without ever really opening her eyes). Now I think she's addicted to the motion of her swing.

Old 06-05-06, 12:34 AM
is hoping for good news soon!
VIP Member

Thanked 123 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

You know I think my sister wonders if she's hungry. She will sleep for hours if you hold her, but the second you lay her down she wakes up.

I know she will scream if she lays her down awake anywhere. So far the only place she will go without being held is her little seat, but that's only for about 15 minutes when she is sound asleep to start with. If you stick her in awake, she will scream within seconds.

She is being breastfed, but is pooping and peeing totally normal so I'm guessing she is getting plenty of food.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. My sisiter will love them. I'm about zero help ... and just feel so bad because I know she must be so tired.

Last edited by baby hungry; 06-05-06 at 09:15 PM.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools