Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Question for you all.

Reply Post New Topic

• tarziesgirl tarziesgirl's Avatar 07-31-04 | 05:04 PM
  • My DH is always giving me a hard time about the fact that I don't have a job. He razzes me about what time I get up everyday too. I just wondered if the rest of your SO's did this or if mine is just a you know what?

• jodiraemarie jodiraemarie's Avatar 08-02-04 | 05:11 PM
  • My dh was like that for a little while too so what I did is waited until he had a weekend off, kissed my children, wished them luck and went to my mothers for the day. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday at moms and only came home at night but didn't lift a finger to help him so he would have some idea what it is like to be me. He has admitted that it was pretty easy until the kids started saying they were hungry and he realized everything was frozen.

I did help my parents repaint the inside of their home that weekend so I was really doing something and not just sitting around laughing at him.

I don't know all the details of what went on in that house those two days but my kids sure were glad to see me and dh was VERY nice to me when sunday night rolled around. LOL

Sometimes he gets a little snippy and starts to make a comment about the dishes not being done or the laundry pile getting big and I just remind him that I still know the way to moms house.

Swithching roles just for one task will sometimes get him to appreciate me more too. Like when dinner time rolls around I'll ask him what he has planned to cook and it always stumps him. funny how they never stop to think how that roast got defrosted and cooked. they never realize how much time a day you spend actually planning and preparing these grand feasts they expect to see on the table.
  • kandjmom kandjmom's Avatar 08-02-04 | 10:15 PM
  • My DH has the same problem...he seems to think that he would do a much better job at what I do all day. As for getting him to switch roles, we did try that but it didn't turn out the way we had hoped. He spent the whole day looking after the kids and didn't get anything done. His excuse, when I asked about it, "Oh we had a bit of a rough day" He didn't even try to do any laundry or dishes. So to this day he still has the attitude that his job is harder than mine. I sympathise with you both. Unfortunately my hubby won't change his oppinion no matter how bad the kids behave for him, and I still get stuck cleaning up.

• tarziesgirl tarziesgirl's Avatar 08-02-04 | 10:56 PM
  • Well, he tells me all the time to go and get a job and he'll stay home. I just laugh because I know that the house wouldn't get cleaned, dinner wouldn't be made, the clothes wouldn't get washed, the bills wouldn't get paid on time, he'd spend way too much 'grocery' shopping, etc. I am just really sick and tired of being treated like life at home all day is a day at the beach.

I told my great aunt that he complained about working 55 hours a week and she said that wasn't that much. She's old school for sure and worked picking cotton and other farm work so you know she has experience. I love that old lady.

I know that taking off wouldn't work because I don't have anywhere to go for long enough to let him appreciate me fully. I think I'd have to take a week off for him to start to understand how crappy he's being to me. Basically, I feel like he's saying that I'm worthless because I don't work outside of the home and I hate it.

I am desperately seeking something to do from home so that I can have an income and feel good about myself again. I just don't know of anything I can really do to accomplish that.
  • kandjmom kandjmom's Avatar 08-03-04 | 11:47 AM
  • I totally know how you feel. In my case, to top it all off, Dh's job could be finished at the end of this year and he has these big visions that he is going to have a big severence package and be able to go on unemployment for the next year and that he won't have to worry about any money until then. And that I would go back to work and make good money right away. Then he also has these thoughts of changing careers and going back to school to become a building inspector (he thinks you don't need any previous experience with building houses to succeed at this job) Its very frustrating. So you definitely have a sister in anguish over here! I too need something to fall back on without having to worry about who is looking after my kids. Besides if I did go back to work, with the cost of daycare these days, I would be making just enough money to pay for it. And how is that getting us ahead if I just break even?