Baby Corner

Old 03-03-09, 04:40 PM
MOM

Thanked 34 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.91%
Default sick, sick, sick

I had a full time nanny until Alexa was 16 months. I started to see that she was getting bored at home and put her in an Emilia Reggio daycare. She loves it, likes the educators, the classes and the gym. The problem is she is ALWAYS sick. She gets one cold, finishes the cold, gets another cold, etc ... I am wondering if I am doing her any favors, maybe she would have been better off at home with the nanny ... I know that she needs to build her immunity but maybe if I would have kept her home until 3 or 4 she would have built her immunity slowly over time and when she would have started school she would have been less sick. Any advice, thoughts, opinions would be greatly appreciated. I feel so sorry for my little munchkin ....

Old 03-03-09, 05:50 PM
CL & Mommy of 2 girls!

Thanked 132 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

How long has she been in the daycare? (Sorry, I'm not sure how old she is now

)

Old 03-03-09, 06:42 PM
is wondering how much more I can take!!
Community Member

Thanked 109 Times
Weekly Activity 46.36%

I used to work in a daycare and it didnt matter if they started the child at 6 weeks or 4 years old, the child is going to get sick quite a bit a first. There are soooooo many different germs there and they are new to your little one so chances are she has not built an immunity to them. The longer she is in, the less she will get sick (providing it is a clean facility) because she will become immune to a lot of what is going around. We would have this conversation with all the new enrolled families. They would come to us with the same question as you on if they should wait to enroll them until they are older. If the center is dirty (which I dont think you would have your child there if it was) then changing centers might lessen the amount of times she gets sick but overall she will get sick a lot for the first 0-6 months. You should see it diminish after that though

If you dont do it now then you will just go through this when she starts Kindergarten (unless you are planning on homeschooling her).
Thank you Mommy2KNIH!
jo_will (03-05-09)

Old 03-04-09, 08:30 AM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 128.18%

All kids who start child care get sick often. It will take some time for her to build an immunity to all the new germs she encounters. Poor little one.

Handwashing, even though it's challenging with toddlers, is the best way to stop the spead of germs, as well as routine toy sanitizing. As long as you're comfortable that those things are happening and that Alexa is happy there, I wouldn't change centers or put her back at home. It will only happen again when she goes back to school.

I hope she's really well again soon.

Thank you ~babydoll~!
jo_will (03-05-09)

Old 03-05-09, 09:59 PM
MOM

Thanked 34 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

Thanks!! It's been less than 3 months since she started so I guess she has at the very least 3 more tough months ahead of her. Poor munchkin!! Her fever was as high as 104.7, very scary! We brought her to the clinic and did an xray of her lungs, thankfully there is no infection and it seems it is just a nasty virus. She is back at daycare now and doing much, much better except for her nasty cough. The daycare is very high end and appears spotless but I guess appearances can be deceiving, I will ask them about the handwashing and toy sanitizing protocols.

Latest Articles
Benefits of Breastfeeding For a Year or Longer
Only 27% of mothers breastfeed their babies for one year, even though there are benefits abound. Learn the benefits of nursing your baby for a year or longer for both your baby, and for yourself.

October 2014 Celebrity Births and Pregnancy Announcements
Get the latest celebrity baby gossip including who recently has a baby, and who has just announced their expecting, in our monthly celebrity baby and pregnancy update.

2014 High Chair Buying Guide
If you are not sure which high chair to buy for your baby, take a look at our recommendations that are safe, and easy to use.

10 Car Seat Mistakes Most Parents Make
Studies show that many parents make these 10 common mistakes. Find out how to make sure your baby's car seat is safe.

Interpreting Your Pregnancy Dreams
Many pregnant women experience strange dreams that seem to come out of nowhere. Find out what your dreams during pregnancy might mean.

September 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations romasa!

Calculators & Tools