Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Travel with 11 week old

Reply Post New Topic

• eek01 eek01's Avatar 09-23-04 | 11:51 AM
  • We are going to MN to visit my inlaws on the 20th of Oct. We are flying and it is about a 2 1/2 hr flight. I know that I am supposed to nurse when taking off and landing, but does anyone have other advice Ideas on what to carry on Or any stories of traveling post 9-11 with an infant? I have flown a lot since, but I have never noticed little babies on the flightsI was on. We are holding her and checking the carseat carrier at the gate. I am so scared that they will loose our luggage so I am not checking the carseat. We are checking everything else, ie stroller, pump, travel bouncer, clothes. We will buy diapers and wipes when we get there. I just want to travel as organized as we can, which was not hard with just the 2 of us.
    We will be there for 1 week and staying at my inlaws, so we dont have to worry about the hotel aspect.

Thanks in advance
    Erin
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 09-23-04 | 04:16 PM
  • you can arrive at the boarding counter and immediately ask if there is an extra seat for your infant.
    If there is one, you can carry on the carseat and let her ride in the carseat for free. If not, you can check it at the gate as you currently have planned. Definately ask if there's a free seat available to move to.

The 11 week old baby is about the easiest baby age to travel with.

Just make sure you have burp rags with you.
    Make sure the diaper is dry just before boarding so that you can try and just do one change (or none if you get lucky) Practice changing diapers on your lap.
    Baby's head is on your knees, bottom is near your crotch, legs are up your torso.
    You can have a lap pad in your lap if you're not certain of timing. But I've gotten so that I
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 09-23-04 | 04:23 PM
  • you can arrive at the boarding counter and immediately ask if there is an extra seat for your infant.
    If there is one, you can carry on the carseat and let her ride in the carseat for free. If not, you can check it at the gate as you currently have planned. Definately ask if there's a free seat available to move to.

The 11 week old baby is about the easiest baby age to travel with.

Just make sure you have burp rags with you.
    Make sure the diaper is dry just before boarding so that you can try and just do one change (or none if you get lucky) Practice changing diapers on your lap.
    Baby's head is on your knees, bottom is near your crotch, legs are up your torso.
    You can have a lap pad in your lap if you're not certain of timing. But I've gotten so that I
    just put the new clean diaper under the bottom and existing diaper. Take off the old diaper
    and set aside long enough to put the bottom down into the new diaper. I don't use wipes
    for just pee and if there's poop, I have the wipes standing by and already plucked for a one
    handed change. Practice, it's actually not too hard and is very helpful in these such
    instances.

Make sure you have a shirt to change for yourself too incase of projectle vomiting... you never know.
    You don't have to nurse if the timing isn't right. A pacifier or simply sucking on a toy or a finger will do the trick just as well. My babies have slept thru decents and never had ear problems, so it's not required that they suck, it just helps for those with the plugging problems.
    If you use a pacifier, make sure you have a clip for it. They tend to pop out of the mouth and roll down the aisles otherwise.

The other trick I would suggest is to have a bunch of sandwich bags or plastic grocery bags tucked into a small pocket of the diaper bag. These are for 'incases'. Incase you need a bag for wet clothes. Incase you need a bag for a stinky diaper. You'll be suprised at the 'incase's that I've wipped out a plastic bag for and been thankful I had a stash of them.

She'll be doing the same thing that she does in a car more than likely. She'll probably sleep.
    Just in case, bring a rattle or one of her favorite blankets.
  • Marilyn 09-24-04 | 12:35 AM
  • Sounds like Karen gave you some wonderful advice! Have a great trip

• eek01 eek01's Avatar 09-24-04 | 11:32 AM
  • Karen thanks for the advice. I have to practice the one handed change!! DH has a longer lap, Ill put him in charge! I also feel better knowing that I can ask for an empty seat, that would make me feel safer.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work