Baby Corner

Old 05-17-07, 06:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 42 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.82%
Question Yard Sales

Have any of you had a yard sale before? How did you advertise? Were you able to sell a lot of your stuff? Was there a lot of wheeling-and-dealing going on?

We're doing a neighborhood yard sale in June. I have so much stuff that I need to get rid of so I am looking forward to cleaning things out! I hope that I can sell a good amount of it!

This will be my first yard sale!

Old 05-17-07, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

we had a yard sales a few times before we moved. we put up signs around with arrows...we didn't do the newspaper ad b/c we had a lot of drive by's.

there wasn't a lot of haggling..we just wanted to get rid of stuff so we really didn't argue about price. we did sell a lot of stuff..mostly furniture and bigger stuff..we did sell a few knick knacks though

good luck

Old 05-17-07, 08:19 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

yes, when we were in San Jose, we had a neighborhood yard/block sale every year and our new neighborhood in Washington has a neighborhood sale too.
We participate every year.

The best place to advertise is Craigslist. It's free and a ton of people browse that website (at least on the west coast

)
Next, you'll get alot of traffic if someone pays to put it in the local newspaper. But you'd be suprised at the number of people just out driving around looking for signs that will see a sign and follow the arrows

(like me

)

How good or bad or how much people haggle depends on the area.
I was SO frustrated in the bay area because there were mostly mexicans and asians looking to prettymuch 'take' your stuff so they could sell it at their flea market tables

you'd have a price of $3 on something and they'd offer a quarter

And I had to watch stuff like an eagle too because they would come in big groups and they'd actually steal your stuff too!

can you imagine??
That is SO different than how garage sales in the Portland metro area are... up here, garage sales have lots of good stuff at good prices - and you don't have nearly so many people looking to make a steal off of you

when I went looking at garage sales in San Jose, I was always amazed at the junk and always wondered where the good stuff was.

Nowadays, I do most of my 'big' sales on Craigslist - but that can get tiresome so when we have our annual sale, what I usually say to people who try to haggle down to an unreasonable price is: "If it doesn't sell at this price, I'm going to sell it on craigslist next week or donate it to my church" and that works the best for me.

Old 05-17-07, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 86 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

We had our first yard sale this past December...and it was a total success! We made over $1000...it was amazing! We advertised in Craigslist, the local newspaper, and I put up over 20 signs all around our neighborhood and made sure to get the cross major cross streets around the perimeter.

We sold literally all of our stuff..and we had TONS. We sold all kinds of toys, clothing, cd's, furniture, small kitchen appliances..everything. We sold so much because we were starting the preparations for our move. The majority of the people came between 8am - 1pm. We made sure to put "No Earlybirds Please" in our ads, because if not, people will try to show up at 6am!

We had a little of the haggling, but it didnt bother us much. We were just upfront and stood our ground on prices we wanted....then towards the end of the day when we just wanted to get rid of some stuff we did discounts.

Old 05-21-07, 05:13 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 7824.55%

We just had a garage/yard sale last weekend and made $250--not a shabby haul for preparing only the night before

Latest Articles
How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

Celebrity Baby News: August 2014
August 2014 was hopping with new celebrity births and pregnancy announcements from celebrities like Christina Aguilera, Kelsey Grammer, Christian Bale, and Christina Ricci. Get the details here!

Bexco Recalls 1,100 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs
Bexco's Franklin & Ben Mason style 4-in-1 style cribs due to fall and entrapment hazards. Get information about how to order a repair kit to keep your baby safe.

Should Pregnant Women Eat More Tuna?
Consumer reports disagrees with the US Food and Drug Administration about the amount of safe tuna fish consumption in pregnant women?

How to Be a Great Hands On Parent to Your Toddler
It's important for parents to be an active influence in their toddler's life. Learn how to be an award winning hands on parent.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools