Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Preschool Reflux or just Spit up?

Reflux or just Spit up?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-18-07, 11:01 PM
Mom to Frat.Twin Boys

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.91%
Default Reflux or just Spit up?

Both of my boys seem to spit up a lot. Occasionally, once every other day or so, it is projectile. But most of the time it's just regular spit up...but it seems to be a large amount sometimes - maybe 1/2 oz. Is this normal or could they have reflux issues? They have a dr. appointment on the 23 and I'll ask my dr. then, but I wanted to see what you ladies thought...

Old 01-18-07, 11:22 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

Spit up looks like it's SO much more than it really is. Most likely it is normal spitup, all babies spit some. I'd mention it to your dr next week. In the meantime make sure you burp them really good during feedings and maybe try to feed them propped up some, whether your nursing or bottle feeding.
Good luck!!

Old 01-18-07, 11:32 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I just posted about my cousins baby and it made me think about your post. It's odd that her baby has the pyloric stenosis. It's mainly in boys, and signs/symptoms arise about 5 weeks. One of the symptoms is the projectile vomitting. Dewey was 5 weeks and he started vomitting like that. They did an u/s on him and ruled that out. It turns out that I was feeding him too much, and the wrong bottles. How much do they eat during a session? If your on formula maybe try to cut back an ounce or 2 and burp every ounce and see if that helps. If they want more wait a little bit and offer more.

Old 01-19-07, 03:06 AM
is just one of those weird girls.
A work in progress

Thanked 84 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

One of the things that can help you decipher between feeding too much or actual pyloric stenosis is to watch for bowel movements. I noticed w/ Matthias that he would only poop every 3 days...so if you're getting 1 or more poopy diapers a day, that's good... Also, if there's any weight loss. Another thing, but this is a rarity, they will develop an olive sized lump around the navel area.

Is the projectile vomiting w/ every feeding or even more than once a day?

My son didn't really have the tell-tell sign of projectile vomiting, it was more like he had a fountain flowing from his mouth after every bottle.

It does more often occur in first born white males...I was the 2nd (birth order), white, and a girl...and I still needed the surgery @ 6wks old.

What you describe in your post definitely sounds more like reflux...so having a doc take a look would be the best thing

Old 01-19-07, 10:45 AM
Community Member

Thanked 40 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

My baby is my third son....and he spits up a ton. Both of my younger boys have spit up a bunch after almost every single feeding. I breastfeed, and have never given any of my boys a bottle, so I have no experience there. However, when Jonathan spits up...sometimes it is projectile....and it always looks like a ton, but it's really not as much as what I think.
My middle son was the same exact way. Neither of them have anything other than normal spitting up issues. My oldest son only spit up once or twice the entire time he was a baby.

Just wanted to give you my experience because sometimes babies spit up...and there is nothing wrong with them at all.

Latest Articles
Benefits of Breastfeeding For a Year or Longer
Only 27% of mothers breastfeed their babies for one year, even though there are benefits abound. Learn the benefits of nursing your baby for a year or longer for both your baby, and for yourself.

October 2014 Celebrity Births and Pregnancy Announcements
Get the latest celebrity baby gossip including who recently has a baby, and who has just announced their expecting, in our monthly celebrity baby and pregnancy update.

2014 High Chair Buying Guide
If you are not sure which high chair to buy for your baby, take a look at our recommendations that are safe, and easy to use.

10 Car Seat Mistakes Most Parents Make
Studies show that many parents make these 10 common mistakes. Find out how to make sure your baby's car seat is safe.

Interpreting Your Pregnancy Dreams
Many pregnant women experience strange dreams that seem to come out of nowhere. Find out what your dreams during pregnancy might mean.

September 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations romasa!

Calculators & Tools