Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Preschool Talons weight check and my meltdown

Talons weight check and my meltdown

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 02-07-07, 12:50 PM
is Mama to 4
Community Member

Thanked 9 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 6.29%
Default Talons weight check and my meltdown

Talon went for a 4 week weight check since he's had an issue with his weight gain since birth. The pediatrican wanted him to be at 6lb 3ozs by today, which would have been a weight gain of 1oz per day but we were only at 6lbs even, which is roughly a 1/2oz a day.

The pediatrican feels I must have low calorie breastmilk since we are seeing all the pees and poops you would expect and he decided we need to supplement Talons breastfeeds with a high calorie formula designed for premature babies called Neosure.

When we left the peds office and were on the way home I finally broke down. All of a sudden I felt so horrible for not being able to nourish him adequetly. Then when we got home I made up his first bottle of formula and sat balling like a baby as I was feeding it to him. My biggest fear is that we have such a wonderful bond right now and I love breastfeeding him........I'm so afraid we're gonna lose that. I don't want my milk to dry up and my emotions are definitly getting the better of me right now.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed that Talon is able to gain weight for his weight check this Friday. If his weight doesn't go up like that hope we will have to do a bunch of blood work to determine why he isn't gaining weight like he should.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent ladies. I'm sure this will eventually pass as my hormones level out.

Old 02-07-07, 12:56 PM
is tired of sneezing
Mommy to 2 Boys

Thanked 117 Times
Weekly Activity 23.43%

Logen was only bottlefeed and we could have a closer bond. Dont beat yourself up over it

Old 02-07-07, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

i also had to stop bf'ding b/c dd was not gaining weight...The Dr's did years..i mean years of a fishing expedition to figure out what was wrong with her and they found nothing besides a milk protein allergy which made her tummy hurt.there was always an amount the dr wanted her to gain and she didn't get there...

She is almost 5 now and weighs about 32 pounds...she's skinny but some people are just skinny!

She was NEVER on the growth chart for weight...she had weekly weight checks forever then monthly weight checks

and she's fine..just skinny.

Just wanted to let you know we had the same experience when DD was an infant and she's fine. I hope Talon starts to gain weight for you

Old 02-07-07, 03:07 PM
CL Makenna & Kieran's Mom

Thanked 24 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

I hope your appointment on Friday goes well and they are happy with his weight gain. Makenna was supplemented for the first 6 weeks of her life because she was gaining slowly and I nursed her until 14 months. I hope you can continue to do both since you enjoy nursing. Did the doctor tell you to drop nursing all together? I nursed and then offered a bottle afterwards and that seemed to work for us. I'm sure that whatever happens you will continue to have a wonderful bond with your boy because you are the best mommy for him.

Old 02-08-07, 12:12 AM
RN in Training

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

Don't beat yourself up over something you have no control over. Talon will be just fine whether you breastfeed, bottlefeed, or a combination of both. My #1 DS had a lot of trouble with bf due to a tongue-tie, and stopped putting on weight. I expressed for 6wks before having to eventually bottlefeed 100% to fatten him up. Even though he wasn't bf'ed for very long, we have an amazing bond.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools