Baby Corner

Old 05-05-11, 11:23 AM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Fever again!!

I am just at my wits end. Milo had his class field trip to the museum yesterday. It was pretty crazy (bus breakdown, kids with health problems, potty accidents) but all in all a good time.

Well, Milo had a lot of fun and was feeling good. Ate all of his lunch, etc... We decided to go to their schools lacrosse game and sat there until half time. It was freezing out (42 degrees) and we weren't really dressed properly for it, so the kids were really cold all the way home. I pumped the heat in the car and got them some warm drinks ready at the house.

Well, I feel Milo's head and instead of cold, he is really warm. He tells me his head hurts and he isn't hungry for snack. Take his temp and it is 102. UGH! He had a pretty good cough all night but the advil brought his temp down. Now today he is barely eating, moving and his temp is still up.

I am just not sure how they can justify this as normal? I desperately want to switch peds but he is never healthy enough for us to set up a well visit at a new doc to even try them out.

Just a week ago I had him at the peds for what they deemed a "cold". Now a week later and "it" is back???

Just so worried about my little guy. I have no idea what could cause continual sickness for months at a time.

Old 05-05-11, 11:54 AM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Appointment at 1:30 with the nurse practitioner. I hope they can get to the bottom of this or refer us to someone who can.

I actually just made appts. with an ENT at the Children's hospital as well as DH's allergist (who also is affiliated with Children's) for testing.

My only other possible consult would be rheumatology I'm guessing.

I'm so tired of having to play doctor for my family when we pay darn high premiums and bills for all these doctors. It shouldn't take ME pleading for months and years for these docs to give us some answers.

Can you tell I'm a little fed up? LOL! With all our families rare health problems you'd think that at this point they'd be a little more on their game and try to at least rule out the odd ball ones. So far our family (just the 4 of us) has at least 8 diseases/syndromes on the National Institute of Health's rare disease registry.

Um.....I don't think it is just a 2 year "cold" at this point and I highly doubt it is allergies. I've had "allergies" my whole life and never had recurrent fevers even as a child. Grrrrr!!

Last edited by Patience; 05-05-11 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-05-11, 01:08 PM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 147.27%

I'm sorry he's sick again Nicole. One thing though I wouldn't relate anything yesterday to him being sick last night. It takes a little while before you *catch* the bug so just a few hours later he should have still been fine. Oh and hot / cold weather would not make you sick either it has to be germs of some sort.

I hope the Dr's can give you some answers.
Thank you savannah33!
Patience (05-05-11)

Old 05-05-11, 08:47 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I agree Susan, but I'm starting to believe in old wive's tales at this point. LOL! I'm ready to put a ring of garlic cloves around his neck or something. The nurse practitioner we saw today actually tried to argue that some kids just get sick when they are too hot or too cold. UGH!!

The doctors office was ridiculous and awful today. We are SOOOO done with them.

The nurse practitioner (who they set up my appointment) with was upset when she saw Milo and how high his temp was. She said that Milo having such chronic fevers should be seen by a pediatrician at this point and not a nurse like herself. She then told me that she was having the doc on staff come in to assess his condition.

The doc that came in never looked at Milo's chart or Milo (who was curled up in a fetal position, red as a beet and immobile) and lectured me about him picking up bugs from his friends at school, and that he should stick to seeing one physician exclusively at their practice. I explained to him that HE is Milo's primary care but he is never available for appointments when Milo is sick and they just tell us this or that doctor is fine. He did NOT like to hear that one.

He went in with a 103 fever (at the office) and the doctor had the nerve to tell me that I was overreacting bringing him in (when the nurse I called said I HAD to bring him in) and that maybe I needed a therapist or some anti-depressants to deal with my son having Asperger's.

Um....Asperger's isn't even an issue when your son is spiking 103-104 fevers every 2 weeks. The nurse practitioner was very kind and they have some great people on staff but this is it!!!!

After the doctor left, the nurse gave me numbers for doctors she would take her kid to in the situation and flat out told me that if his fever isn't gone in the next 5 days to just take him in to the ER at Children's and they will get me the best docs to figure this out.

I left with NO explanation for why he has a 103 fever and was told to give him advil as needed, but not too much. Lovely. I was STEAMING mad when I left there. Still am actually.

No kid should miss half the school year with no explanation. I can't exactly send him in with 103 degree fever. I want them to explain to the school (and to me) how he is perfectly normal and healthy but has a fever every other week!!

Old 05-05-11, 09:20 PM
is is needing a day off!
Admin Team

Thanked 179 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 4506.36%

Did they test him for strep? My dd had fever after fever after fever. It took Motrin and Tylenol to keep down for days and the doc just kept sending us home. Well, finally about the 4th fever in my dd started complaining that her legs hurt (wierd, I know) and then that her throat hurt. They ran a quick strep and it popped up positive within seconds. I never would have equated her symptoms with strep until the sore throat.

I hope you find a better doc and that Milo is feeling better soon.

Latest Articles
13 Ways to Naturally Relieve Morning Sickness
Is morning sickness getting you down? Here are 13 ways to help calm your stomach, and relieve morning sickness whether you have it in the morning, afternoon, or all day.

Milk Allergy in Infants
Sometimes it's difficult to tell if your baby is sick, or if s(he) has a milk or forumula allergy. Learn the difference, the symptoms and treatment options of milk allergies in infants.

Here's Why Eating Organic During Pregnancy Is Better
During pregnancy, it might be wise to switch to eating organic foods for the health of your baby. Learn why.

BPA Exposure and Infertility in Women
BPA seems to have an effect on infants, children, and pregnant women, and there also seems to be a link between BPA and infertility in women.

Kate Middleton Suffers Severe Morning Sickness in Second Pregnancy
Kate Middleton is once again experiencing severe morning sickness, or hyperemesis gravidarum, in her second pregnancy.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations nwad2470!

Calculators & Tools