Baby Corner

Old 12-22-04, 10:00 PM
My Littlest Elf!

Thanked 7 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default How To Teach Them...

that scratching and hitting is wrong.
Erin, the last couple of days, has been hitting and scratching. She slapped and scratched her cousin a few times in the past couple of days. My problem is how to deal with it. I don't really want to hit her back (although some people say to do that) 'cause I don't want her to think that it is okay to hit. The grabbing and scratching the poop out of people is another issue. She made Mark bleed a couple of nights ago 'cause she grabbed his face and dug her nails in. She seems to act like this more when she is tired. She hasn't shown this behavior at daycare. Maybe she is acting toward my niece this way 'cause Lily is younger than Erin? I don't know? I've removed her from the situation. Told her that it was not nice to scratch/hit and to stay where she was (on the couch or on the floor in the kitchen). Any suggestions? I'm feeling frustated on how to discipline my daughter.

Old 12-22-04, 10:05 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

well, what has worked for us (after about a month of doing it) was to remove abruptly from the situation.
Hit? Instant time out in the crib. And the whole way to the crib, I tell them it's not okay to hit. You never hit. etc. I leave them in the crib for a minute for each year they are old. (ie: almost 2 minutes for Andrew at the moment). If it's scratching or meanness, I grab the hand and make them stroke the face and say "gentle" that works the rest of the time.

Good luck, that's a hard habit to curb.

Old 12-22-04, 10:08 PM
is is needing a day off!
Admin Team

Thanked 179 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 49570%

Adrianna responds much better if I show her "gentle" or "nice" than if I spank her hand. That seems to backfire and I don't think it makes much sense anyway. I would just remove her or correct her. Oh yeah, and keep her nails clipped short

Old 12-22-04, 10:51 PM
Dance in the rain....

Thanked 9 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I am having the same problem Garrett knows it is wrong. He has even put himself in time out after he does something I don't know how to stop it, hopefully it is just a stage

Old 12-22-04, 10:54 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

same problem here too
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools