Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - School Age >
I just visited Montessori...

I just visited Montessori...

Reply Post New Topic

• smking17 04-28-08 | 03:10 PM
  • by myself - to get the details since I didn't take the phone call and DP didn't ask any questions.

I LOVED it. I have a question about prices. They charge $707/month for all day preschool 8-5:30, includes all meals, snacks, & Spanish class. How does that compare to your experiences with private all day preschool/daycare- anyone?

Now I have to lay the ground work for arguing with DP. She said that hands down she's not considering moving Sophie, but I am SO SO ready. And she won't be here this summer, I will.....hmmmm. I mean I know I can't do that, but I have to come up with a good set of pros to counter her cons.

Pro:
    no more Wanda drama (for Sophie)
    no more uncertainty about whether Wanda will close
    more educational activities (I think, DP disagrees)
    new kids
    SPANISH instruction until 6th grade!
    better facility, more teachers
    much more diversity than Catholic school (racial, ethnic, income level)
    sets her up for getting into 1st grade in a good school
    don't have to move out of our house

Con:
    way more $
    Gabe and Sophie apart next year
    lingering, and perhaps more, Wanda drama (since Gabe will still be there and she'll be mad at us/me)
    more kids (less one on one attention?)
    many more days when school isn't in session
    still have to figure out something for K, will definitely lose Montessori option (leaving Catholic school as our only option)
    possibly have to move
    no school uniform (the one main thing I like about possibly sending her to Catholic school)
    have to pay even while on sabbatical to hold spot (which means that if I get my grant to go to Mexico next spring, we still owe $707/month in tuition for Sophie)
    probably lots of hidden fees (dues, activities, fundraisers)

smk

Last edited by smking17; 04-28-08 at 03:14 PM..
  • Ellie Bellie Ellie Bellie's Avatar 04-28-08 | 03:37 PM
  • well, those are a lot of big pros and cons ... my 2 biggest on the list would be moving and tuition costs ... i personally am not a proponent of montessori curriculum but that's just me ... around here the montessoris start at $1000 a month ... way too much imo ... i do think looking to get out of wanda drama in any case would be nice and keeping the kids together ... are there any other possible options?
  • ~Kelli~ ~Kelli~'s Avatar 04-28-08 | 03:38 PM
  • would you be moving S again at K? ie- montessori just for the 1 year? if so-- I would just leave her at wandas then make the move to Kindy... could be hard to move her next year, then again the next year ykwim?
  • smking17 04-28-08 | 04:07 PM
  • It depends.

If DP had it her way, we'd keep her at Wanda's this year and then do K at the Catholic school next year (but I"m not sure 1) I want to keep her at Wanda's 2) I want her to go to the Catholic school).

If I get my way, we'd do Montessori next year, and then she'd just stay there for elementary - as long as Sophie likes it and is doing well with it and we like it. Also, Gabe would be with her again the year after next since siblings get priority. If we do Catholic school for K, then Gabe and Sophie would be apart when K starts for two years.

Last edited by smking17; 04-28-08 at 04:10 PM..
  • ~Kelli~ ~Kelli~'s Avatar 04-28-08 | 04:31 PM
  • see that's totally a pro in my book! get them together at the same school sooner-- and get out of wandas sooner the drama is just too much for me imo...