Baby Corner

Old 07-24-12, 04:01 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%
Arrow Idiopathic Toe Walking

Sarah has started physical therapy because she's been walking on her toes for years. I've noticed it increasing over the last couple of years and an OT friend of ours brought it up to me in the spring. We had her tested for Tethered Cord Syndrome and THANK GOODNESS she didn't have that. But her hamstrings and heel cords are SO TIGHT and she walks almost exclusively on her toes. So we're doing weekly PT to try to loosen up some of those muscles and realign her legs.

We also discovered on the spinal x-rays and MRI that she has scoliosis. So hopefully all of this PT will help alleviate some of the symptoms as they relate to that.

We may order night splints for her to wear. They're simliar to the SMO braces that Alex wears but they go higher onto the calf and are designed to keep her foot flexed slightly while she sleeps, allowing the heel cords to stretch while she relaxes in her sleep.

All of this is hopefully helping us avoid heel cord release surgery. After all of Alex's issues and now this stuff with Sarah, the docs are thinking that there may be a connection with all of our children so we may test Charlotte, too.

Right now our first priority is getting Sarah straightened out (pardon the pun ).

Old 07-24-12, 05:53 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

I'm very glad its not a tethered cord!

Kind of surprising though that they never did anything to correct the toe walking before. That & scoliosis are things normally noticed in checkups.

How is Alex doing anyway?

Old 07-24-12, 06:24 PM
is a stay at home Mommy<3
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 49750%

oh my goodness. best of wishes and prayers to you and your family with everything going on.

Old 07-25-12, 01:31 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

Oh my! Hopefully the braces with help things tremendously.

I went to elementary school with a kid that liked to walk & run on the balls of his feet, but I don't remember there was anything medically wrong with him...he just liked to do it. (as far I know)

Old 07-26-12, 01:09 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Thanks everyone. And thanks, Sharyn, for asking about Alex. He's doing well. We just got new braces for him last month so he's loving those. He's been done with physical therapy since last September and is doing well. He'll start preschool in the fall so we're looking forward to that. You're a gem for asking.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools