Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - School Age Interesting article: Spoiled Rotten

Interesting article: Spoiled Rotten

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-19-12, 10:46 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 1607.95%
Default Interesting article: Spoiled Rotten

Are we raising slobs that never grow up? Worth reading:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...urrentPage=all

Old 07-20-12, 02:34 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Weekly Activity 1305.2%

That was extremely interesting. Thank you so much, I am going to print and share with my wife!

Old 07-20-12, 05:29 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 3002.09%

Interesting. Once our kids leave, they can always come visit but it'll be just that...a visit! They're on their own and they have to take reponsibility for themselves!

Old 07-20-12, 06:20 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1607.95%

What struck a chord with me is I see a lot of parents giving in after one try when it comes to household chores. They usually think, "oh it's easier and faster if I just do it". But apparently picking up the slack after your kids doesn't really help them, just the contrary. Good parenting takes time and effort, and sometimes spending more time teaching the kids to do their chores then the time it takes to do the chores themselves. (Hope that makes sense)

Old 07-23-12, 03:35 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Weekly Activity 1305.2%

What I found interesting about this article is how it explains a lot about my family. My wife is always complaining about how the kids "act better for me" than with her. Well I'll be the first to tell you when Dad says, "no" it means NO, and when I warn that they're going to get their butt whipped, they actually get their butt whipped! My wife tends to give warnings a lot and not follow through with them.

It doesn't sound logical, I know, but in time kids will respect you for saying no and standing your ground. Last time I put Theron in time out he physically fought me for at least 45sec. while I held him down by hit thighs. Then finally, he huffed, "do I have to stay in time out for 1 minute or 2"?

Latest Articles
Baby Food: Jarred or Homemade?
The trend for Moms to make their own baby food instead of buying jarred baby food is rising. Here is some advice on how to choose what to feed your baby when beginning your baby on solid foods.

28 Baby Products That Save Time & Make Your Life Easier
After baby arrives, your time will be precious. Here are some of our favorite time savings baby products that are must haves for any Mom. Includes Editor's picks, and favorites from Moms and Dads to help make your life easier.

Babies Understand More Language Than We Think
A new study from the University of Washington shows that babies learn language much sooner than we thought. Learn why it's important to read and talk to your baby early, and often.

Star Pregnancy and Birth Announcements Summer 2014
See the pregnancy and birth announcements for summer of 2014 including Kristen Bell, Jimmy Kimmel, Eva Mendes and more!

Am I Pregnant or is this PMS?
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're pregnant, or if your period is just coming late this month. Use this guide to help you tell the difference.

May 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations farul!

Calculators & Tools