Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - School Age I've got to pull it together

I've got to pull it together

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 05-03-06, 04:18 PM
Mommy to 5 sweetpeas

Thanked 13 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.91%

Not sure if you are looking for hot or cold side dishes/salads. So here are a few ideas:

No-Fuss Party Potatoes (Slow Cooker)

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
4 1/2 ounces chopped green chiles
1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
32 ounces frozen hash brown cubes -- Southern style
3 green onions -- sliced
1/2 cup nacho flavored taco chips -- finely crushed

Spray 4 to 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine soup, sour cream, chiles and cheese; mix well. Arrange half of potatoes in sprayed slow cooker. Top with half of sour cream mixture; spread evenly. Top with remaining potatoes and sour cream mixture; spread evenly. Cover; cook on high setting for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle top with onions and chips.

Make Ahead Tip: Cook the potatoes ahead; keep them warm on low setting for up to 2 hours. Add the chips just before serving.

Strawberry Spinach Salad (A family favorite for the past several years - from another PG I belonged to)

1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable/canola oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons seasame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 (12 oz) package fresh spinach, torn
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced

Combine sugar, oil, vinegar, onion, paprika, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a blender. Process until smooth. Pour into a salad dressing cruet. Add sesame and poppy seeds and shake well.

Rinse spinach; pat dry. Combine with strawberries in a large bowl. Add dressing before serving; toss lightly. Serves 8.

(to make this a more substantial *meal* I'll add grilled cubed chicken some times ).

Other Ideas:
When I have large family gatherings and not much time to pull a lot of dishes together, I'll often do a big veggie tray (that includes a lot of color w/ sliced yellow/red/orange peppers, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots, snap peas etc). I generally make one hot and one cold dip to go with (if you'd like some recipes/suggestions here just let me know).

Also, I cube and skewer fruit - ALWAYS a huge hit! For the fruit skewers I like to use tropical as well as regular fruits and berries for a prettier presentation (and of course it tastes great! ). Not always, but every so often I'll put a fruit dip with the skewers.

Both the fruit and veggie trays are done using the big silver party serving trays so that I can accommodate larger crowds.

Old 05-04-06, 08:06 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 73.64%

Thanks everyone I have some great ideas and recipes to follow now.

Old 05-05-06, 06:37 PM
Mommy to Jordan Avery!

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I dont have any recipes....just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!

Latest Articles
Baby Development: When Will Baby Be Rolling Over
Find out when to expect your baby to roll over, how to know he's ready, and how to keep your baby safe when the rolling begins.

When Becoming Parents Kills Your Coupledom
It's a common problem after baby arrives to forget about the most important part of your family: Your Marriage. Find out why marriages seem to fall apart after baby, and how to get back to being the couple you once were.

How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

Celebrity Baby News: August 2014
August 2014 was hopping with new celebrity births and pregnancy announcements from celebrities like Christina Aguilera, Kelsey Grammer, Christian Bale, and Christina Ricci. Get the details here!

Bexco Recalls 1,100 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs
Bexco's Franklin & Ben Mason style 4-in-1 style cribs due to fall and entrapment hazards. Get information about how to order a repair kit to keep your baby safe.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools