Baby Corner

Old 03-29-06, 10:13 AM
North Carolina

Thanked 8 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%
Question Karen,

How is Sarah adapting to her medication?

Old 03-29-06, 01:28 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

FANTASTIC!!

I was going to post an update but you beat me to it

Today is Sarah's 6th day on the medication.
it was a little difficult to get her to swallow the pill. It's a time release capsule and this is the first she's ever had to swallow a pill (without chewing it) and the process was a little hard to master. The preschool teacher gave us a tip to practice with mini m&ms and we did that and it worked like a charm!
The first day was pretty hard but each day was easier and easier with finally today ...she swallowed it on the first try!

As for how the medication works

I'm giddy with excitement at how well it's working! She's still the very spunky and energetic girl, but there's something just slightly different that you can't really put your finger on.
The teacher told me yesterday (because she goes to school on Tu,TH, & Fri) that it didn't kick in right away and she thought Sarah was the same as always, but then she noticed it and there was something just a little different. And Sarah was a model student!

I have noticed that she doesn't speak with such a loud volume so much, she talks at a regular volume and THAT I didn't expect to happen. She sits still for her meals instead of wiggling and spilling everything. Her coloring is now even better! She now has the patience to actually sit and color in the lines instead of just scribble monochromatically.

The only bad thing is that it's a 12 hour pill and just as DH comes home and right about dinner time, it starts to wear off and she goes into that tailspin roundabout that time. But I don't really see that as a problem, so much as just something to be aware of.

Her sleep hasn't changed, her appetite is the same...
No negative side effects that I can detect whatsoever so far.

I'm just so dang happy that this is working so well!
I feel so free now! Like I can take my child out in public without fearing all the dirty looks (and the bold rude people who actually come right out and make the comments) at my tasmanian devil.
I'm just so excited at how this is going to positivly impact our family!

Old 03-29-06, 01:35 PM
Community Member

Thanked 33 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

That is great news Karen. Thank you so much for letting us all in on this part of your life. I think that is very sweet of you.

WTG Sarah!

I may have to give my g-friend the name of this med you are using.

Old 03-29-06, 02:04 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

it's Strattera.
Sarah's on the lowest dosage (10 whatever the unit is) and so far,... it's just enough.

Old 03-29-06, 02:58 PM
North Carolina

Thanked 8 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Karen, that is wonderful news I am so happy to hear how well its working. I was just reading up on the medication it seems much better and different than past adhd medications.
I am having a really hard time right now because dh doesn't even want to discuss medications and I feel like I am on my last limb. I am feeling depressed, frustrated and tied down that I am afraid to make any fun plans with my family. Not to mention I"m the one that spends a majority of time with him, and I am starting to see Ryland imitate some of his bad habits and it scares me to death, I don't want Ryland to change, he is so laid back and differnet, I am afraid I will be in a complete funk if he loses his tempermant. Maybe I can get him to look at this information and your post to see how its helping you and your family. Its so hard to have a family life or style you never expected or wanted, its dissappointing when you try for something you always wanted and you have no control over what's happening to it. Thanks again for sharing with us Keep us updated on it all.

Latest Articles
Traditional Chinese Medicine For Fertility and During Pregnancy
Traditional Chinese medicine can be used to help you conceive, and also during your pregnancy. But, what are the risks? Plus: Did you know you can tell if you are pregnant by checking your pulse?

Antibiotics Used During Pregnancy Linked to Child Obesity
A new study from Columbia University has found that antibiotic use during pregnancy is linked to later child obesity.

Celebrity Baby Watch November 2014
Find out whose pregnant, and whose expecting in our monthly celebrity pregnancy and births update for November, 2014.

The Importance of Baby Talk and Why Fathers Need to Do it More
A new study shows that verbal communication with babies happens more by Moms more than Dads. If you are a new Dad, here are some tips for talking more to your baby.

Can What a Man Drinks Affect His Fertility?
Yes. It turns out that drinking a pint of beer per day helps increase male fertility. Learn why.

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools