Baby Corner

Old 03-01-05, 12:28 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Know anything about IUDs??

I have been having EXTREMELY heavy periods since Aidan was born, even worse this past year. My iron is really low. In September my Ferritin was 6, practically non-existent. Last week it was only 14 after taking iron pills every day. My doctor says I should get an IUD, which supposedly decreases bleeding by 90 percent and would also serve as birth control. The other option is an endometrial ablation which basically destroys the lining of your uterus and decreases bleeding as well, but I have to know I'm done having kids. I think I am, but I can't make that commitment yet, so it seems like I'm left with the IUD as my only option. She says they're much safer than in the past and totally recommends it, but it kind of freaks me out to have that in there all the time. I mentioned the pill, which I took for 10 years before kids, but I have borderline high blood pressure and will be (gulp) 35 this September so she doesn't recommend it.

Any advice?

Old 03-01-05, 12:54 PM
is the Proud Mom of Skye and T.J.
VIP Member

Thanked 319 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm thinking about getting a IUD also. I don't have that much info on it yet so I really got to research it. And I have to make sure my insurance will cover it.

Old 03-01-05, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I really don't have any advice for you. Two years after I was born, my mother had to have an abortion because she had an IUD and her OB/GYN told her that if she continued with pregnancy, the effects on the baby and her would be so detrimental. This was over 30 years ago, so I am sure that they are much safer, but I have stayed away from them just because of that.

Old 03-01-05, 03:34 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Oh Sonya, that's terrible. My mother had to have a d & c because it got lost, so she's also against it. It's supposedly over 99% effective but that doesn't mean much if you're the one who gets pregnant and can't keep it.

Old 03-02-05, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I also have had wicked periods since meghan. I have hypertension so no BCP for me either. I will be getting the Mirena IUD, probably next month. The copay was $190 so I have been waiting til I had the extra $$ to spend for it. Its 99.9% effective, no maintenance, you never feel it, most women after 3-6 months have no period ! My girlfriend got it and she has had no periods in over a year, just random light spotting every few months. I look forward to getting it, the heavy periods are so bad and I have to actually carry around extra underwear to work when I have it b/c it is so vicious. The one thing i do not look forward to with it is that it has to be "installed" while you are having your period and your cervix is soft and partially open.... but hell we have had babies so I guess its no biggie My OB said its painless, some experience light period cramps right after...

Oh and as for it getting lost... supposedly the older copper and flimsy plastic one's had the loss factor...but these new one's have like a 1/100,000 chance of that happening and the way the device is designed it doesnt actually get lost...just displaced...but it has a string attached to easily retrieve it if that ever happens. I was worried about that to...

Good luck...I cannot wait to get it at this point. I hope you can make a decision you are comfortable with
Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools