Baby Corner

Old 04-28-08, 11:11 PM
SAHM mom of two.

Thanked 50 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 5%
Default In-law rant

Let's all rant/vent here about our in-laws and commiserate together, shall we?

Here's mine from last weekend.

My FIL, his girlfriend, and Uncle in law were invited over at 11am for brunch before Alex's little league game at 1pm. They insisted on bringing something, so we asked them to bring juice. They did arrive on time, which is shocking. They brought extremely bruised organic apples, organic carrots, and organic nuts. No juice. I don't own a juicer, so I don't know how I was supposed to get juice out of those items. While I cooked them breakfast, they asked repeatedly "is that organic?". Then they wouldn't eat what I made because it didn't fit their "eating philosophy" even though I asked them ahead of time what I could make them.

We went to Alex's game. They complained the whole time because it was cold. (I think it was 65 or 70 degrees). I told them to sit in the sun and they said they'd get burned. They are all dark olive skinned. They yelled at Alex constantly (luckily he couldn't hear) and tried to tell everyone how to play baseball. None of them have played baseball in their lives. They all grew up in either Iran or Taiwan - not countries that saw a lot of baseball 40 years ago!

After the game I expected them to go home. They started talking about dinner. OK. I could last until then. They spent the whole afternoon telling me what I did/do wrong with the kids and my life. For example, how could I let Heather have that whole Nerd's rope? (Not that she'd eat it all anyway.) How could I buy a house without a basement? (Not that they make houses with basements in California!!!) and how was I going to pay the bills this next month? (None of their business unless they were offering to help us out - which they weren'1!) And on and on and on.

At dinner every question to the waiter was, "is this organic?" Luckily, they did pay for dinner. I had a beer which helped the dinner go smoother.

After dinner I expected them to go home. THEY DIDN'T! They stayed to watch a movie! They stayed until 11pm. I excused myself to go upstairs and put the kids to bed and get in bed myself because I had a race the next morning. I am told I was very rude to do so. Oh well. You get what you give, right? And they gave rudeness to me! See, they started it! OK. Not mature on my part.

I know they're going to want to take me out for my birthday next week and I'm dreading it. Anyway that I can turn them down?

OK. Who's next with their rant? Who's story is going to top mine?

Old 04-28-08, 11:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 245 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

I posted mine earlier today.

Sorry they were so totally crappy.

I'd just tell them you already have plans for your birthday.

Old 04-29-08, 07:42 AM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

that's a little odd amy...... and crappy for sure!

my mil didnt listen to me about what Lyla likes-- and she cried for the whole 30 min I was in the shower the other night as soon as she held her like I told her to, L stopped crying Mil told me she had 2 kids and knows what to do

Old 04-29-08, 08:18 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 245 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

Sounds like my MIL- I would leave 3 pages of typed instructions (yes- I know- slightly OCD) and she would totally disregard them and what I told her and do what she wanted. Thankfully, my kids aren't scarred for life, but still- it would have made things signifcantly easier for her had she done things the way the kids were used to.

Old 04-29-08, 08:32 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 67.5%

My MIL did not send Brent a birthday present or a GC, she sent it to the other 2 kids. She sent him a card and that was all. Then she had the nerve to call and want to chat with me a few weeks back, I told her I was busy ( and I was) then she asked to speak to Brent and I flat out said NO he's playing. I hate her.

HOW the F....? do you do that to a grandchild? Fine if you don't want or have the money to send then don't send to anyone. Remember she gave that fancy necklace to Brooke at Christmas for her birthday (because we were there), then she sent Braedon a $25 GC.

Randy thinks I'm being mean. and Yes I did say that to him and walked off. NO secret I don't like his mother.
Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools