Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - School Age For picky eaters I have a question

For picky eaters I have a question

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 11-06-09, 09:58 AM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 10%

Susan, I don't think the way you feed or taught the kids is wrong at all. I think it is great. My two wouldn't eat from day one. Milo was especially tough as he wouldn't even take a bottle some days. Not much has changed. LOL!

I agree that if it is a control thing it needs to be stopped. With my two it isn't about control or what not just Very strong aversions to foods.

I think it is awesome what a variety of foods most of your kiddos eat. I would LOVE to have healthy eaters like that!

I do agree that forcing kids or making them sit at the table or serving things over and over until it is eaten is extreme and unnecessary. My parents did that and it didn't make me like anything any better. It only made food a battle ground and made me feel bad for not liking certain foods. I don't think you ever have to resort to that because your kids just are good eaters.

Old 11-07-09, 01:17 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 152 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I could write a book about this, but I'll be short.

My DD has strong aversions to foods also... it is the feel, the smell etc and I don't force certain things on her because when I was little it was forced on me and made for a bad...bad situation. She gags on certain things and smells. She's getting a little better at trying things. When she was young we had to take her to a feeding/ swallowing clinic because she would choke on cheerios and things have just never been good for her. She has certain foods she likes and we try to get her to try new things, but it is hard like Nicole's kids she has gagged so much and almost threw up. I remember doing the same thing as a kid... I also remember sitting at the table for EVER because I wouldn't eat steak.

We have some close friends that we eat with at each others houses a lot and if they are having pizza (DD hates pizza) she throws in chicken nuggets for my DD and I do the same here and make the kids mac and cheese, but we've known each others kids since they were 3 months old.

My DD is always polite (from what I hear) and says "no thank you" if they are having dinner that she doesn't eat. She never asks for something different from what I've been told. She is just starting to venture out to school friends houses and sometimes they call and ask if she can have dinner there and I sort of cringe because I don't know what will happen.

Some kids are great eaters and some aren't. I think you just have to do what is right for you and your family and feed them what you would and if the kids don't like it then they won't want to come over.

Old 11-09-09, 08:41 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 73.64%

The situation you describe to me is totally different that is not a picky eater that is a kid that has some issues with food. I'm sorry you guys have to deal with that.

Old 11-09-09, 08:44 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 73.64%

Kelli it's funny you mention that your kids eat better at others houses. This same family was amazed that their son ate roast beef wraps at our house because they said he wouldn't touch a tortilla or any sandwich meat other than ham. I just made it and he ate it. In fact he ate 2 of them. WITH spinach on it.

Old 11-09-09, 09:24 AM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

Yeah susan- C will come home and say- 'why don't you ever make raviolis'.... I said, I do- you didn't like them so now he's added to his repitoire

Latest Articles
Conceiving Quicker Doesn’t Mean Your Baby Will Be a Boy
Of all the old wives tales about gender selection, one, conceiving quicker means you will have a boy, has been debunked.

Benefits of Breastfeeding For a Year or Longer
Only 27% of mothers breastfeed their babies for one year, even though there are benefits abound. Learn the benefits of nursing your baby for a year or longer for both your baby, and for yourself.

October 2014 Celebrity Births and Pregnancy Announcements
Get the latest celebrity baby gossip including who recently has a baby, and who has just announced their expecting, in our monthly celebrity baby and pregnancy update.

2014 High Chair Buying Guide
If you are not sure which high chair to buy for your baby, take a look at our recommendations that are safe, and easy to use.

10 Car Seat Mistakes Most Parents Make
Studies show that many parents make these 10 common mistakes. Find out how to make sure your baby's car seat is safe.

September 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations romasa!

Calculators & Tools