Old 08-26-09, 09:14 PM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Talking 4 month well check

Everett is still huge

He's 19 lbs (98%) now and 26.25 inches (90%).

She said he's developing well. She said some things I haven't heard before. She said the new recommendation for rear facing is 30 lbs. I thought it was 2 yrs. If he keeps on his growth curve, then he'll hit 35 lbs at 2 yrs which is the limit on our seat rear facing.

She also asked me what my plan for feeding him solids was. She was still going with the outdated 4-6 months recommendation. I always heard it was 6 months at the earliest for a breastfed baby so they are less likely to develop allergies. I told her of my negative experiences with feeding my girls before they were older and said I had no plans on feeding Everett solids until he was old enough to take food from my plate himself! She warned me that I would miss some magical food "window" that would make him not eat well. I think I'll take my chances

My girls didn't eat solids until 10-11 months and they are good eaters! She did agree with me that he wasn't developmentally ready when I told her he didn't track food when we ate. He has no interest in even watching us eat at meals. He'd rather play with toys! I think Everett will tell me when he's ready.

We actually ended up spending most of the visit with her asking me about homeschooling. She is very curious, but had no interest for her own family. Her questions seemed very bated and made me uncomfortable as I felt like I had to defend myself on my curriculum choices (not that she had any better ones for me to consider

). Oh well, it was better then last visit where I had to defend my views on why I refused to immunize my 2 month old to diseases he isn't at risk of getting. Time before that was me insisting of Everett getting his tongue clipped so he could breastfeed properly. I wish I could find a Pediatrician that was more on the same different wave length as I am. That will probably never happen though. I do miss my old Pediatrician though! She seemed to take my parenting style with greater ease. Or I guess I just learned to lie to her to avoid topics

Laura

Old 08-26-09, 10:18 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Grow, Everett, grow!! He's a big buddy!!

You're the mama so whatever decisions you make for your kiddos will be the right ones. Are you a part of a homeschool co-op? If so, maybe you could ask one of those moms for a ped recommendation?

I hope you can find a pediatrician with views more aligned with yours.

Old 08-26-09, 10:21 PM
is cancer free :)
Community Member

Thanked 432 Times
Weekly Activity 920%

Sounds like you have a nicely growing little boy on your hands - he and Kaitlyn were the same height @ 4 months although for girls that is off the chart. Can you look for a pediatrician that can understand your views better?

Old 08-26-09, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

sounds like he is doing reall well!

can you look for a new ped?

Old 08-27-09, 12:38 AM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

We went yrs and yrs without a regular Ped because I couldn't find one I liked. I went through a lot of on call drs.and haven't found one I've clicked with. This one is pretty good and doesn't make me feel like I'm a bad mother, she just wants to know the reason behind everything I do! I wasn't prepared for the homeschool questions today as I was just bringing Everett in for his well check. I think she means well and while she questions me, she's not rude. I wonder if she's trying to see if I've actually researched my choices or if I read a book somewhere or something and take things at face value. Luckily for me I'm quite well researched and feel confident in how I care for my children.

Oh, and she gave me the name of a tutoring place if I feel like I'm not qualified in a subject. I just thanked her and put the paper in my bag. I think I can handle first and second grade. I do have a college degree! Its not that difficult to be smarter then a 7 yr old!

Now I would love to put Christine into art classes, but I can only find them for 9+ yr olds so far. I'm totally not qualified to teach her real art. She passed me in her artistic ability by the time she was 4! I've been going with buying lots of varied art mediums and letting her loose with them.

The local schools have cut out all art programs for little kids, so at least she's getting something!

Laura

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools