Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Baby food recipe book?

Reply Post New Topic

• brandimichelle brandimichelle's Avatar 06-06-08 | 10:22 AM
  • Does anyone have one of these? Or do you all use online recipes? Any good websites? I read where you are not suppost to make carrots and beets at home due to the high levels of some chemical.... just wondering what you all did to make your baby's food!
  • jennigirl jennigirl's Avatar 06-06-08 | 10:23 AM
  • I just read the same thing Brandi.....here's what I read online.........so it sounds like it's ok as long the veggies are organic??

Home preparations are equivalent to commercial foods, but commercial preparations of carrots, beets, turnips, collard greens, and spinach are preferable before 1 yr if available, because they are screened for high concentrations of nitrates, which are present when the vegetables are grown using water supplies contaminated by fertilizer and which can induce methemoglobinemia in young children.
  • jennigirl jennigirl's Avatar 06-06-08 | 10:25 AM
  • I'm just going to make extra of whatever we're having that night for dinner and puree it and freeze it. Sweet potatoes are one of our favourites, also squash, peas, green beans. I read on the ask a question post where some put apples and such in the crock pot.
  • brandimichelle brandimichelle's Avatar 06-06-08 | 10:32 AM
  • so just leave out all the spices/salt/pepper, etc? and just puree it? so like green beans, peas, corn, etc? do you do the same with fruit?
  • ~Kelli~ ~Kelli~'s Avatar 06-06-08 | 10:38 AM
  • I tried making baby food for the first few months for Brennan and the veggies (besides sweet potatoes) never turned out right for us! green beans were always too clumpy, peas turned out OK, squash turned out weird...

apples, bananas, pears I made myself, but always bought the earths best organic veggies! by 9 mos or so I was just giving them our food bc they could handle the thicker texture-- but the really smooth thin texture was hard to achieve at home (I had a nice food mill too!)....

just my 2 cents

sounds easier to make it then it is... for me anyway