Baby Corner

Old 03-22-06, 02:57 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1176.67%

Thanks for the suggestions

I don't think I ever read Junie B myself.

I'm going to sign Rachel up for the Barnes & Nobel book club thingy that they do over the summer. I suggested to the school that they do something similar during the summer session & they told me that they may not have enough time. That whole hour of academics they had last year must have been really difficult.

uoh:

Old 03-23-06, 11:09 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.67%

Our elementary school has a book reading summer program. You go to the local library and they give you a form, a sticker etc and you have to read 10 books. Once you do that you fill out the form, and take it back to the library. They put your name in for a drawing. Then, your school holds a huge book party with cake etc for those kids who participated. Very fun!

Old 03-23-06, 05:40 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Weekly Activity 1176.67%

I think that is about what Barnes & Nobel does only without the party at the end. They get stickers or prizes for more books read. I like that your school got involved & had a party!

I'll see what the school does this year. I wasn't the only parent disapointed with the 2.5 months of party that was summer session. I know summer is supposed to be fun and relaxed but it was too hard for a lot of kids to settle down and get back into school. All they did over summer was play, swim, eat, play again, swim again, eat again, etc. Oh and there was a field trip thrown in once in a while.

Old 03-23-06, 05:55 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.67%

Lizzie first got interested in the Junie B. books and still loves them all (and many more). I think they are a great starting place.

Bradley's first love was the Magic Treehouse books. It was amazing how much he loved reading those...

Maybe the Barnes & Nobel book club will help spark some interest...

Just wanted to put in here though, that you shouldn't worry about it too much. Bradley was just an average reader in kindy and 1st grade (he wasn't behind, but he was no star reader, either). Something clicked early in 2nd grade and he went beserk. We literally have to yell at him to get his nose out of a book these days. He's in 3rd grade now and has been evaluated as reading at a end-of-6th-grade reading level. So, something somewhere might just spark her interest, yet. She's still young.

Last edited by MomOf4Monkeys; 03-23-06 at 05:57 PM.

Old 03-24-06, 11:35 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Weekly Activity 1176.67%

I hope it clicks soon for Rachel! The biggest hurdle to getting Rachel to read is that she'd rather be playing or watching TV. I'd turn off the cable TV (we'd get nothing but fuzz if I did.) but DH won't let me.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools