Baby Corner

Old 09-08-08, 12:51 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%
Default This closed campus bothers me

I'm not used to not being able to see how the teacher & other kids interact with my kids. I'm not used to not being able to see what the class is working on. I don't like this!

When do schools ask for volunteers for room-mothers & other volunteering? I haven't heard anything about possibly doing that.

Old 09-08-08, 01:14 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

you can still go into a school if it's closed campus. You have to go into the office and sign in and get a pass (visitors pass or a volunteer pass after having gone thru a background check).

Call the office and ask how to join the PTA. Usually, the PTA has the low-down on the volunteer stuff for the school in general. The volunteer stuff for particular classrooms are by teacher only, and you should already know how to communicate with the teachers, right? (minimally, there is the note in the backpack transfers

)

Old 09-08-08, 02:06 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

In our old school I could go on campus before & after school & see what was going on. See who played with who and how the teachers and staff spoke with the kids. And the other parents too...which ones treated their kids with respect & who I wanted to avoid.

I don't want to have to make an appt or get a pass because I don't have a real reason to be there except to see.

Old 09-08-08, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

There's nothing wrong with wanting to see.

I get that all the time, and I never bat an eye.

Old 09-08-08, 03:42 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

closed campus' are closed to the children. Not to the parents.
People can't just walk around the campus - they need to be identified for safety reasons.
You can go any time you want to the school. They usually have a visitors sign in book at the front desk that you just sign in and write your own visitors pass. Heck, 1/2 the time, I don't even bother to get my badge because I'm just in and out so quickly I don't bother. (and occasionally, I scoot past the office without signing in).

It's really not a big deal. You're free to come in and 'check out' the classes all you want. But I would imagine that any entrances you make into a classroom at the wrong time would be disruptive so having it planned to be a 'helper' in the class would best be pre-arranged.

I go in the morning and I drop off the kids and then I linger. I talk to the teachers. I go to the media center and straighten out a shelf or two (they have an 'adopt a shelf' program

)
and you get a pretty good feel for the school if you just 'linger' after dropping kids off.
Attending the school functions and of course being a part of the PTA is the best way to scope the rest of the staff out, though.

I would say, though, that if you're just wandering the halls. That would irritate me as another parent. Parents with purpose, fine. Parents just being there to 'observe' all the time,... that would make me (and I'm sure the rest of the school) feel judged and incredibly uncomfortable and ergo irritated.
just my

though
Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools