Baby Corner

Old 08-21-09, 04:06 PM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Default Corporal Punishment

I went to DS school open house last night. This is his first year in public school and we are trying to get use to things. In the packet of info to fill out they had the paper to sign of whether or not you will allow corporal punishment. I didn't fill it out. I'm sure they will say something, but I have already planned to write a letter discussing my point of view on the subject.

First of all, we are okay with punishment, but we do not believe that they should choose whether or not our child gets spanked. That is our decision. I want to be notified and make the decision as to whether or not my childs crime fits their idea of punishment. Its funny DH and I grew up a lot differently, but both of our parents were the same way on this issue. I was never spanked in school. If my parents believed that I did something to deserve to be spanked, then they handled it when I got home.

Does anyone else believe this way also? Or do you allow the school to handle the punishment?

(I'm not starting a debate, or going to judge anyone, I'm just curious how others handle these situations)

Old 08-21-09, 06:45 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Our school district has done away with corporal punishment completely. In fact I've heard instances where parents though thier child needed a spanking and wanted to do it themselves and were asked to leave school grounds before doing so.

Old 08-22-09, 01:31 AM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 1220%

Wow I didn't realize any schools still did that. I am not opposed to a spanking, but I or Dh will be the ones to do it.

Old 08-22-09, 01:32 AM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Quote:
First of all, we are okay with punishment, but we do not believe that they should choose whether or not our child gets spanked. That is our decision.
This is why they give you the papers to sign whether or not you want to allow the school to do it. If you are allowed to refuse it, why do you have an issue with it?

I don't think its allowed in our school district.

Old 08-22-09, 01:47 AM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babygirls

This is why they give you the papers to sign whether or not you want to allow the school to do it. If you are allowed to refuse it, why do you have an issue with it?

I don't have an issue with it. I just haven't dealt with this before. They do not do that at the private school that my son has went to. I was just curious who feels the way I do, and who doesn't. I wasn't even aware that they took it out of some public schools. I think I may have said it wrong in my last post, they do not give you an option to choose yes or no, they give you a paper that says you agree to it, and expect you to sign it. Which is why I said they will probably say something to me, because I didn't sign it and give it back to them.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools