Baby Corner

Old 12-07-10, 09:43 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%
Default Discipline..

How do you discipline your little one? I try not to spank or anything..although every once in awhile it happens. But Joseph won't sit for any length of time to make a time out effective. He's also is not responding well to No and Stop as discipline commands although he does understand them. The few times I have spanked him it has not really sunk it in either which is one reason I don't resort to it often the other reasons should be obivious.
Right now he does a "quiet time" in his room when he's getting over excited which usually leads to bad behaviour.
I just was wonderig how some of you handle immediate discipline with your toddler? Like revoking privilages or room or chair time..and how do you get an almost 2 year old to understand that he is receiving consequences for his actions?

Old 12-07-10, 09:49 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Discipline

I have a 17 month old daughter. Within the last week she has quit responding to no. I used my first time-out last night. I only sat her down for 30 seconds, but it worked. She definately understood that she had received a warning, she did not comply, and she was getting consequences. I was amazed. I had decided early on that there had to be other ways besides spanking.

Old 12-07-10, 10:00 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2420%

I've tried everything. Avery is a difficult child and very strong willed. Spanking just hurts her feelings momentarily. I do not spank hard, it's more of like a hard pat on the diaper, but clearly it is not effective at all for her. I do smack her hand if she is doing something she shouldn't be doing (being mean to the dogs, touching things she shouldn't, etc) but I mainly do time-out. I even struggle with though. She always immediatly gets her feelings hurt and starts screaming and crying. I try to go along with the "minute for their age rule" and make her sit 2 minutes. This usually ends before 2 minutes by her coming over to me crying and telling me how sorry she is. Sometimes she behaves better and sometimes she doesn't. I have even put her nose in the corner a few times and that usually just results in a huge crying sobbing fit for much longer than I intended. She doesn't understand getting something taken away from her and honestly she has so much stuff she would never even notice it gone. The only thing she loves is Guy (her lovey) and I would never take him away from her....

So sorry for the ramblings...
Thank you brandimichelle!
lauralkemp (12-07-10)

Old 12-07-10, 10:41 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%

IA that spanking should be the last resort and like I said they don't really faze him..kind of like Avery he gets his feelings hurt and cuddles to show he's sorry. I really have only spanked him hard less then a handfull of times and I admit that it was reactionary to the fact that he was putting himself in a dangerous postion each time.

Old 12-07-10, 11:34 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Maybe if you shorten the time-out to like 1 1/2 min. I would make sure to give a warning, so it is clear she knows what will happen if she disobeys or continues behavior. Consistency is key. With my daughter I just sat her in the corner and said you have to sit here for 30 sec. I looked at the clock (not her) the entire time. She just sat there and it was her first one.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools