Baby Corner

Old 06-21-10, 06:54 PM
is so blessed!
Community Member

Thanked 110 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Drying up :(

My milk is starting to dry up. I was really hoping to nurse all the way through this pregnancy, but I don't know if it's going to be possible. He still asks to nurse, and he'll latch on and get a sip or two, but that's about all there is. He can nurse a little longer in the morning, but by the end of the day, there's nothing. He's pretty good about if there isn't anything there, stopping and moving on to the other side to test it, and then if there's nothing, he'll just get up and move on. I'm not sure if I should just let him figure it out on his own or if I should push him to stop. He gets 1-2 cups of milk a day and really likes it. I'm sure he's only nursing for comfort and routine now. I am afraid to push him to stop b/c I don't want to make him upset.
I also worry about what he'll think about his sister nursing when she gets here. What has been your experience with an older sibling who was a weaned with a new baby? He'll be around 21 months when the baby gets here.

Old 06-21-10, 11:29 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Weaning is such an emotional process.

My girls are 22 months apart and the main reason I weaned Sarah at 13 months was because we had been unsuccessful in conceiving--and I was pregnant 3 weeks later! By the time Charlotte was born, Sarah was weaned and didn't really notice when Charlotte nursed.

It sounds like this is a good opportunity to wean John and make new memories with him before his sister is born.

Thank you Dopey406!
Mrs.Emily (06-22-10)

Old 06-22-10, 04:03 AM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I've dried up in my second trimester both times. I too wanted to tandom nurse, but its never worked out. Both of my kids easily weaned when my milk dried up. With Christine she just stopped asking and with Everett he got very cranky with the lack of milk and was very hungry! He was only 11 months old though and I went to formula and he had no problems at all switching over! He still won't hold his bottle and feed himself though. He wants me to hold him like he's nursing and he'll play with my hair like he always has while I feed him. He's not willing to give up the comfort of feeding in my arms for anything!

Christine had no problems with Nicole nursing. It had been several months since she had weaned. She did ask once and I let her try and she couldn't remember how to do it and just thought it was really funny! I see it just how she tried out the infant seat and other baby equipment and toys.

I think John will still be young enough that you won't have the jealously issues that older kids have when the new baby comes. Its amazing how quickly a baby forgets how to latch on when they wean! I had to nurse Nicole on the couch instead of the rocking chair so that Christine could sit up next to me and cuddle during that time. She still wanted the closeness that the new baby was getting still being a baby herself! We'd cuddle and read books together while Nicole nursed. I'm sure I'll be doing that again soon! Of course Everett is a different child and while he's very cuddily on his own terms, he's also big into playing with his sisters and is very active even if they aren't around!

Laura

Thank you LAB!
Mrs.Emily (06-22-10)

Old 06-28-10, 09:10 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

My kids are so spread out that nursing one while pregnant wasn't going to happen.

Just sending hugs.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools