Baby Corner

Old 08-04-10, 06:48 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 98.78%
Question Eye Doctor?

Have any of you taken your 2 year olds to the eye doctor? When I went back in May our eye doctor said that they recommended a child be seen around 1 year and then again around 3 years and then right before kindergarden. I felt horrible because I had never heard this nor had my pediatrician said anything about it. He told me to wait until August when she is 2.5 since we missed the first recommended one and we'll do it at 2.5...

Anyone else been?

Old 08-04-10, 09:13 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 4.9%

No way - that seems crazy to me. Dh and I both have awful nearsightedness, and I've asked my doctor several times about the kids. He has said (and this squares with both my and dh's experience) that children's eyes don't mature until they are between the ages of 8 and 10, so there is no reason to bring them in before they start school at the earliest, unless they exhibit some obvious impairment from an early age.

Old 08-04-10, 09:52 PM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Nope.

We just took Cora for her 4 year old well-check and her doctor did a quick eye test at her check up. It was a simple eye chart test where she read the letters off of a chart. But we haven't gone to the actual eye doctor (and probably won't any time soon) for either of the kids.

Old 08-04-10, 09:56 PM
is shocked!
Moma to 3 amazing kids!

Thanked 986 Times
Weekly Activity 21.22%

I work at an eye doctor!!! The ONLY reason you would want to take a child to the eye doctor is if they are having a problem or fail their vision screen at the peds office for prek or kindy. I dont know about where you go but we dilate every new patients and it take kids for ever to dilate and then the scream when the doctor shines lights in their eyes. Its just no pleasant especially if its not really necessary, kwim?

Old 08-04-10, 10:22 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 98.78%

Oh wow... I'm glad I posted this... I was totally calling next week for her an appointment!

LeAnn... since you work at an eye doctor... what are the signs of a little one having eye problems? Mike and I both wear glasses... and she has been doing this thing recently where I think she is playing but I'm not sure... she cups her hands into circles and puts them over her eyes... or like we watched the fireworks at the beach and she like holds her eyes open with her fingers... ?
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools