Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers Had a scare yesterday morning....

Had a scare yesterday morning....

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-07-10, 11:05 AM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 4822.86%
Default Had a scare yesterday morning....

About 7:00am I heard Kendall coughing while sleeping and thought to myself, "Great, she's getting sick." Then when she woke up about 30 minutes later, her voice was all raspy when asking for me. When I got to her, she had what looked like chocolate on the sides of her mouth. Then I noticed the spots on her clothes & bed sheet and it looked like blood! I yelled for Dh to wake up b/c I thought Kendall had been coughing up blood! We called the pedi's office and left a message for a call back. While we waited, we got dressed & got together a diaper bag. Kendall was acting fine.

Then we remembered the night before she had fell & hit her chin very hard, even drawing blood. Dh thought it was too much blood in her bed to come from a wound in her mouth. But sure enough, after Kendall had asked for water to drink & then I asked her to open wide & stick out her tongue, there it was. She must have bit down on her tongue very hard when she fell the night before and now it was open & gushing blood!

When the pedi FINALLY called back (that is a whole other post!!!) we told them we figured out the reason for the blood & just wanted to make sure if she needed stiches or not. (she didn't) Amazingly, she has been able to eat regular foods just fine and it hasn't opened up again to start bleeding.

Lemme tell ya, after my adrenaline was going that early in the morning & we found out what is really was, my energy level plummeted and I was SO tired all day yesterday! We didn't do anything after that, like go to the beach or anything, even though we had off work. I was just happy we weren't spending the day at the hospital!

Last edited by MrsS1stbaby; 09-07-10 at 11:37 AM.

Old 09-07-10, 11:18 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 115.71%

Glad she was OK.

My oldest fell in the tub when he was 1 and bit his tongue almost in half. I freaked out but there was nothing they could do so they told me to give him ice pops and it would heal quickly and man it did! I was shocked how fast it healed up.

Old 09-07-10, 11:19 AM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

...lurking. So glad she is okay. Mouths bleed so much even when cut just a bit. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

DS gets nose bleeds and wakes up with that same "cough". Even though he's gotten them for the last 6 months I STILL wake up in a panic every time. It is just not a normal way to be woken up, seeing blood all over your baby. :-)

Hope it continues to heal quickly. Mouths heal faster than almost any body part.

Old 09-07-10, 02:00 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

Mouth wounds are miserable! Lukas is constantly pushing the limits and biting through his lip. The worst for us happened when Marek was 10 months old. He banged his mouth on the corner of our surround sound subwoofer and tore his frenulum (little knob of skin between the upper lip and gum). It just kept opening up, and he would rub the blood all over his face. Ugh.

Glad she's ok!

Old 09-07-10, 09:04 PM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

So glad she is ok, Im sure that was scary. I hate it when the kids get mouth injuries or facial injuries. There is always more blood than usual. She is a trooper!!!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools