Baby Corner

Old 02-12-08, 05:47 PM
~Nightwalker~

Thanked 35 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Handwriting

Boy, they sure do focus on handwriting at this school. I have no problem with it, but poor Trisha thinks she has the worst handwriting in her class.

At the parent/teacher conference, her teacher did mention Trisha's handwriting. I was a bit surprised because at the other school she had the best handwriting (according to her teacher) in the class.

She really did. They hang stuff out in the hallway, and I had noticed numerous times how her handwriting was really good compared to alot of the other kids. Well, I kind of just blew this teacher off, and told her I would work with Trisha.

Today I went to pick Aharon up for a doctor's appointment. I was waiting in the hall for him, and noticed stuff on the wall from 1A, which is Trisha's class. It was a timeline about Rosa Parks's life. Each child drew something, then wrote about it. Their handwriting was incredible. Trisha's handwriting was really the worst.

But she really has good handwriting. It's legible and pretty neat, but the others' was a whole lot better. Although, her drawing was the best.

I guess they really focus a great deal on handwriting.

How's your child's handwriting?

Old 02-12-08, 08:55 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

chicken scratch, but it's only first grade and we are working on it.

Old 02-12-08, 09:13 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

*if* sarah tries, her handwriting is pretty good.

I'm still working with her on it because she really is still learning to write her letters properly. (one fluid motion and not picking up the pencil to finish 'the monkey tail' etc.)

But that's *if* she tries.

When I was in school, every year EVERY teacher told me my handwriting was terrible. And it was. (and it still is) but it is and was the best I could do. I'm like a lefty trying to write right handed or something

when I got to college, the teachers told me the same thing and I basically told my math teacher they were grading me on my math skills, not my handwriting so shove it.

I wouldn't worry about it - but do continue to keep an eye on it while at home.

Old 02-12-08, 09:48 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Let me throw a twist in here -- I remember reading in "teacher school" (my graduate degree in English teaching) that students with messy work scored lower in handwritten assignments than students with neat writing did. (and compared to the same exact words typed and graded by the same person).

I work very hard to read for meaning as a teacher, but when handwriting gets in the way and I can't tell a comma from a period (differentiating between a correct sentence and a fragment, for example), it can affect a student negatively.

It's not the end of the world, but it is important to strive for legibility or better.

How do the Europeans do so well with handwriting? So many of my European students have had the exact same style writing and it is always perfect!!

Old 02-12-08, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 42 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Lauren has always had sloppy handwriting. Her teacher has been really correcting her this year, which has made a HUGE difference. When she has to write neat her handwriting is fantastic but most of the time she thinks faster than she can write and her hand just tries to keep up!

)

Latest Articles
10 Car Seat Mistakes Most Parents Make
Studies show that many parents make these 10 common mistakes. Find out how to make sure your baby's car seat is safe.

Interpreting Your Pregnancy Dreams
Many pregnant women experience strange dreams that seem to come out of nowhere. Find out what your dreams during pregnancy might mean.

How to Calculate Your Pregnancy Calorie Needs
How many calories you eat depend on many factors. Find out the formula used to estimate how many daily calories you need during your pregnancy.

What Will Your Fertility Chart Look Like If You Are Pregnant?
If you're curious to know if you are pregnant, or not, and the pregnancy test results are negative, looking at your fertility chart can help.

Heavier Birth Weight Equals Higher IQ
A paper out of Northwestern University shows that a heavier weight at birth may be linked to smarter children with higher IQ test scores.

September 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations romasa!

Calculators & Tools