Baby Corner

Old 09-27-05, 06:59 PM
Another busy mom

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Kaylie has to see an orthodontist already!

My goodness! Our dentist isn't into super-early orthodontics, but Kaylie's lower teeth are such a mess she recommended we have a consultation sooner rather than later. The orthodontist she recommended also doesn't usually do work at such a young age, but we'll see what he says when we looks in her mouth!

Three of her center four bottom teeth have hogged the space from the four baby teeth, so that fourth big tooth is coming in completely behind the other three. Her mouth is so tiny and her teeth are huge!

Is anybody else looking at orthodontics soon?

Jo

Old 09-27-05, 09:36 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Wow - that is early... Alexis will need work - but the dentist said that her adult teeth have to finish coming in before they can really do anything - otherwise things will just continue to move. Alexis also has what they call a peg tooth (at least one for now anyway) - it is an adult tooth that is the size of a baby tooth - so on top of orthodontics they will have to rebuild the tooth...

How long will you have to wait to see the orthodontist?

Old 09-27-05, 11:01 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'll know in next month but it's not unheard of. Emma's front teeth are very bucked right now.

Old 09-27-05, 11:24 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

My brother's teeth were like Kaylie's. He had braces for 5 yrs

He had sucked his thumb until Kindy so that was a big reason.

I think Rachel will need braces, but the dentist hasn't said much yet. Her top teeth came in in front of the baby teeth so for a while she had a few doubles.

I've never heard of a "peg" tooth.

Old 09-28-05, 08:10 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Our dentist in Michigan was going to have Liz start going to the orthodontist after her next regular cleaning (due in December). However, now we've moved, I don't know what the new dentist will say or do.

Lizzie's also got very tiny little baby teeth and with the adult teeth coming in, it's just way too crowded. I think the orthodontist will probably want to do something like my sister had. It's a "spreader" that will open up the jaw a little to make some more room.

I had a similar problem with not enough room when I was little and they just kept pulling my teeth to make room for the next ones. I ended up not needing braces and my teeth are almost perfectly straight.

I'm all for early orthodontics if it will help the situation and help avoid drastic measures later on. I'm hoping our new dentist here will want to proceed with that.

Latest Articles
Gaining Too Much or Too Little Weight Linked to Obesity in Children
A new study from the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology has found that women must gain the right amount of weight during their pregnancy to prevent childhood obesity.

Overprotective Husbands During Pregnancy
Is your husband driving you insane by being too overprotective during your pregnancy? Here are ways to handle this common problem without getting into a fight.

Why You Missed Your Period When You are Not Pregnant
Find out what the cause might be when you have missed your period, but a pregnancy test had a negative result.

Getting to Know Baby Before Birth
Want to get to know your baby before birth? Here are seven ways you can bond with your baby during pregnancy.

When Your Child Won't Potty Train
You're all excited to begin potty training and feel this will be a breeze, however your toddler has other plans. If you toddler is being difficult and refuses to potty train, follow these tips for success.

November 2013 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations briannashae123!

Calculators & Tools