Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers >
Kaylie's first day of first grade!

Kaylie's first day of first grade!

Reply Post New Topic

• JoanneE JoanneE's Avatar 08-30-04 | 06:59 PM
  • Kaylie had a GREAT time. It was a minimum day schedule today, so she was there only until 12:40pm. She met some new girls, who she recognized from the playground. They have 4 classes for first grade with 20 students each. (They had the same number of kindergarteners).

School goes from 8:15am - 2:26pm Tues-Fri, and they get out at 12:40 on Mondays. On Mondays, a local program does an activity program (optional) from 12:40-2:26pm, which Kaylie will do. I've heard they have science programs, a chess club, and other things (and they eat lunch).

There is no homework yet but we hear they will have weekly spelling tests and quite a bit of homework each night (up to an hour!). She will do a lot of reading. Back to school night is Sept 9 and I can't wait!

Kaylie's teacher has been at the school for a long time and has an excellent reputation. There also is a teacher's aide, who I think is FT also. There are a couple of special ed kids in the class who get pulled out for tutoring and extra attention. One boy is supposedly a bit of a bully. The girls are all reportedly nice. Overall I expect the classroom dynamic to be pretty good!

I'll pick her up again tomorrow so maybe there will be more to report!

Jo
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 09-01-04 | 05:31 PM
  • Its good to hear Kaylie is so happy with 1st grade

. Also that you are happy with the teacher & class.