Baby Corner

Old 09-01-10, 03:38 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Thumbs up Maybe we'll get some answers!

I just moved the boys to a new pediatrician. Not only was the original one pretty far from where we live, but they also were not particularly attentive to our needs or helpful with issues.

One problem we've had for a while is Lukas's drooling/chewing issues. Don't know if I've mentioned this before, but he STILL drools a lot and he chews up all kinds of things. Anything compressable (rubber toys, foam balls, cardboard) ends up in his mouth and chewed up. All of Marek's foam baseballs have bites taken out of them. And when he chews, the drool just pours out of his mouth. The old ped just kept saying he'd grow out of it, which is an answer that's getting pretty old as he turns 2-1/2!

Personally, I think it's all related to the mouth issues he's had since birth. He didn't nurse effectively, although he latched ok, so we had to go with formula when I couldn't keep pumping 5X a day. When we put him on solid foods, the food would just fall out of his mouth, and he had to go to a speech therapist to learn how to eat. And now he still needs to change clothes several times a day because of drool.

We saw the new ped this morning, and she's going to have blood work done to test for an iron deficiency, and we're also going to an occupational therapist for an evaluation to see if he needs some kind of therapy. I'm just excited that we get to do something besides wait for him to grow out of it.

Old 09-01-10, 03:52 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I have heard that doctor's tell parents that SO many times- when the parents KNOW there is something more going on with their child. I am SO glad your new ped is listening to you! 2 1/2 is too old to still be drooling without something going on that needs attention. You are right on mommy!

Old 09-01-10, 05:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Sounds like a great plan! Way to go on making that step to making that change. We often get comfortable using the same peds doc, even when issues like this come up. If Lexy wasnt so attached and comfortable to our ped, I would make the switch too since ours is an hour way. I hope the eval goes great!

Old 09-01-10, 09:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

Great! Sounds like the new one was being proactive!

Old 09-01-10, 09:56 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2420%

Way to be proactive Mama! I hope they find out what is happening so he can get some help if needed!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools