Baby Corner

Old 07-30-08, 09:42 PM
~Nightwalker~

Thanked 35 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.11%
Default Pronouns

So, does anyone have any good book suggestions on teaching children the proper way to use pronouns?

Aharon, who is 9yrs old, is STILL having a hard time with he/him, she/her and they/them. He's been in speech therapy for the last three years, and is still not using his pronouns properly.

I've been working with him, but he just doesn't get it.

"Her grabbed my legos," he says. Or "Them is being mean to me." We've got "Him not know what I say," and "Her not like me."

I'm just not sure what else to do, so I thought about buying him some books on pronouns. I was wondering if there are any out there that are appropriate for him. He doesn't know how to read, he can read a little, but not very much, so I need to find something he can understand.

Old 07-30-08, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 34.44%

I think you should make a book. Get your digital camera and some tag board. Then, you can stage little things-- get the pics printed out, and then make the book WITH your son. Do one picture a day. Glue it down, and then write on the page...
"Mommy grabbed my legos."
"She grabbed my legos."
Poke holes and put in a pronged folder or a binder.
The next day, pick another picture.
Josh and Matthew are mean to me.
They are mean to me.
One picture per page, with the words right underneath. Use a big magic marker.
Each day, read the old ones plus a new one.
Thank you 3Princes!
Natascha (07-30-08)

Old 07-30-08, 10:15 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 6.67%

I teach English/language arts to 7th graders and I have kids who often make pronoun mistakes in the middle of a sentence (like -- Susy is overly suspicious of girls who aren't like her and her own friends. (It should be "she" since the sentence needs a subject not object pronoun in that position)).

Not being an elementary teacher, I'd be interested to hear what his teacher says about this and what the approach he/she suggested is.

My best suggestion, since I don't know of any good books other than grammar workbooks from teacher stores, is to repeat it correctly for him each time as a question, like "Do you mean "she grabbed my legos?" By asking a question it removes some of the confrontation of correcting constantly and reviews the correct form. If the child responds in a complete sentence, it should come out correctly.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Oreo; 07-30-08 at 10:54 PM.
Thank you Oreo!
Natascha (07-30-08)

Old 07-30-08, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 34.44%

Oh and when he reads-- and when you read, point under the first letter of each word. That way he knows where to look at words. That will help his reading as well. Do not cover the picture because he's "memorizing." That's fine. As long as he looks at the words as he reads and points.
Thank you 3Princes!
Natascha (07-30-08)

Old 07-30-08, 10:22 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.11%

gosh, that must be so frustrating!

I too, (and I'm sure you are too) am a corrector. I correct all improper grammar and always have to my children. If you're not already correcting each sentence, then I'd start doing this. I know that some kids don't like the corrections, but honestly, the only way to fix the problem is to acknowledge it and if it's not 'corrected' on the spot, then it's not acknowledged. kwim?
Thank you skyqueen!
Natascha (07-30-08)

Latest Articles
Winter Babies Crawl Sooner
Does the season affect when your baby will start to crawl? According to this study, winter babies crawl sooner than summer babies.

Kate Middleton Pregnant: Second Royal Baby on the Way
The rumors are true! Kate Middleton and Prince William are expecting their second baby. Get the details inside.

What You Should Know about Enterovirus-68
Enterovirus-68, a respiratory virus that has hundreds of children treated in the hospital is spreading across the country. Here's what you need to know if your baby or child gets sick.

Labor & Delivery Photographers: A New Trend
Your labor is packed, and you are ready to go. However, one person you might be forgetting about is the photographer. A new trend is hiring a photographer to capture the precious moments of when your baby first enters the world is now a must have!

Does Your Baby Need Probiotic Formula?
Probiotics are naturally present in your baby's stomach, but some formulas have probiotics added to it. Doe you baby really need probiotic add to his/her baby formula?

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations nwad2470!

Calculators & Tools