Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers question about formula preparation.....

question about formula preparation.....

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-19-08, 11:53 AM
Community Member

Thanked 174 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default question about formula preparation.....

ok, what would you do ladies?
I feed Noah powdered formula and use evenflo glass bottles.
This is what I'm currently doing..........boiling water, putting water in bottles and capping, putting in fridge, removing one from fridge when feeding time came and warming in hot water until water is room temperature (I've never fed him warm formula and he doesn't seem to mind) , adding powder, and feeding.
Noah screams while I'm doing all this of course because he's hungry.
To make it faster, would you store the bottles empty/closed up and add room temperature boiled water from the kettle at feeding time to prevent having to spend the time warming to room temperature? (anyone know how long boiled water sitting in the kettle is considered to still be good?)
I also just read that you can prepare powdered formula as long as you use it 24 hrs in advance..........I didn't think you could, but if I did that, I would only have to warm and not mix and shake and warm.
Any thoughts???
Thanks!!!

Old 03-19-08, 12:08 PM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

we never boiled the water with the boys

my ped said we could just use it from the tap-- but I am using bottled water for L when we go to formula bc there have been some issues in my area.....

anywho- i'll use room temp bottled water--

or

I'll prep the bottles for the day and refridgerate-- then warm them up with a bottle warmer to room temp....

Old 03-19-08, 12:11 PM
Community Member

Thanked 174 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

will you be using powder Kelli?
not to be paranoid

but I read that bottled water has less strict guidelines than tap water, so if you use it you should boil it too

Old 03-19-08, 12:14 PM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

this is of no help..... read below! I will be using powdered..
Q. Can I use warm or hot water from the tap to make my baby's formula? Cassie, Dallas, Texas
A. Since few babies like cold baby formula and you do usually have that extra step of warming the formula after you make it, using warm or hot water to start with from the tap does seem like it could save an extra step. You shouldn't do it though.

Instead, follow the directions on your baby's formula package and if using tap water, start with cold tap water. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, you should "never cook or mix infant formula using hot water from the tap."

What's wrong with hot tap water? Many homes have plumbing with lead or lead solder and hot water can concentrate the lead. Running the water for 15 to 30 seconds and only using cold water can help reduce your baby's exposure to lead from tap water.

Boiling the water doesn't get rid of the lead either.

Many home water filters, including pitcher and faucet filters, do remove lead from drinking water though.
Boiling Water???
Another common question about preparing baby formula is whether or not you have to boil the water first. While most brands of baby formula once recommended boiling as a part of their instructions, they now often recommend "asking your baby's doctor or "local health department" instead.
The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't offer any formal advice on the subject either. The latest book on newborns that they published, Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality, does say that "you may want to use boiled or purified (bottled or filtered) water, at least in the first month or two."

The main problem with that statement is that purified, bottled, or filtered water, even the brand Nursery Purified Water, isn't sterile, so isn't necessarily any safer than tap water that hasn't been boiled first. Bottled and filtered water should have fewer impurities and contaminants, including lead, but could still have harmful bacteria, which was the whole reason you were supposed to boil tap water when making baby formula in the first place.

And there is no research which states that doing anything special to the water that you use for your baby's formula "in the first month or two" is helpful or does anything at all. That advice is likely based on the fact that younger babies are simply supposed to have weaker immune systems.

If you do decide to boil the water when preparing your baby's formula, the FDA recommends that you "bring it to a very bubbly boil. Keep boiling it for a minute or two, then let it cool." Once it has cooled, you will be ready to add it to your baby's formula.

Baby Formula Safety
After you prepare your baby's formula, you should follow some simple rules to keep your baby safe.
Unless you refrigerated the prepared formula, feed it to your baby within two hours.
If you do put the prepared formula in the refrigerator, be sure to use it within 24 hours.
Once your baby starts feeding from a bottle, be sure he finishes the formula within an hour and don't put the bottle back in the refrigerator. Unused formula should not be saved for later. Instead, simply prepare less formula next time so that you don't have so much left over.
Don't warm baby formula bottles in the microwave. Instead, use a baby bottle warmer or place the bottles in a container of warm water.
Follow the baby formula mixing instructions carefully and don't dilute or concentrate the baby formula unless your pediatrician tells you to.
Fluoride and Preparing Baby Formula
Experts often recommend that children should get fluoridated water to help prevent cavities. Surprisingly, infants who are fed powdered or concentrated liquid formula which is mixed with fluoridated water can get too much fluoride.
Getting too much fluoride when your child's teeth are still forming can lead to enamel fluorosis, which can cause tooth staining. This staining can appear as faint while markings on a child's baby teeth, and even more importantly, their permanent teeth.

Fortunately, fluorosis is usually very mild when it is caused by fluoridated water and baby formula and the staining is barely noticeable. To reduce your baby's chance of developing even mild fluorosis, it can help to use low-fluoride water (less than 0.7 mg/L) when you prepare your baby's formula, including some types of tap water, and water that has been purified, deionized, demineralized, distilled, or filtered by reverse osmosis.

You don't have to be concerned about fluorosis if you are exclusively or mostly breastfeeding your baby or using a ready-to-feed baby formula.

What You Need To Know
Talk to your pediatrician to see if you need to boil your water, especially if you are using well water that hasn't been recently tested, or if you aren't convinced that the tap water where you live is safe and healthy for a baby. Your pediatrician can also recommend water -- tap, filtered tap, or bottled water -- that is best for mixing your baby's formula.

Even if you sterilize the water by boiling it, the infant formula itself is not sterile, and there have been outbreaks of Salmonella infections linked to powdered infant formula.

Boiling water when preparing baby formula is very important in many parts of the world, especially developing countries that do not have safe water supplies.

Old 03-19-08, 12:25 PM
Community Member

Thanked 36 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I have been using powdered formula with bottled water but I have a ped appt this afternoon and will get their recommendation and report back!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools