Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers Quick prayer request for a family facing a loss

Quick prayer request for a family facing a loss

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-01-04, 03:36 PM
Another busy mom

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Quick prayer request for a family facing a loss

I just received word that a dear friend, Janet Grosser, died at home early this week. Janet was the chair of the board of our local college alumni club and a wonderful woman. She was diagnosed with lung cancer over a year ago - a nonsmoker in excellent health with a great diet and fitness routine. Lung cancer is not uncommon among women nonsmokers. Her cancer was stable for quite a long time after diagnosis thanks to low-dose chemotherapy, but it began growing again a couple of months ago.

She is survived by her husband, Mort, who met her in college over 50 years ago. I haven't spoken with him since her death but he was devastated by her diagnosis. It's hard to imagine him being without her. Please keep him in your prayers. He's a kind man and will need to be surrounded by love now.

Jo

Old 09-01-04, 03:39 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

You got it. I'm sorry you lost a dear friend!

Old 09-01-04, 05:54 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm so sorry, Jo.

Old 09-02-04, 09:29 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I am so sorry Joanne. How is your friend who has Leukemia?

Old 09-02-04, 04:10 PM
Another busy mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Janney, how funny you remember that story. I'm not friends with the leukemia woman, but my nanny quit working with us to help her family. We have mutual friends but I haven't met her yet. Anyway, I hear she is in full remission and doing quite well. She received her treatment at Stanford and UCSF, so she has national experts tracking her.

Fortunately two other friends who had cancer over the past few years are doing great. One woman had thyroid cancer - she was diagnosed when she was pregnant! She is doing beautifully and teaches in Boston. The other had lymphoma, a very aggressive type, but is in full remission and I think they consider him cured now because he's been cancer-free for over two years. He and his wife have one kid and another on the way.

Isn't it disturbing when friends our age get these serious illnesses? The loss of my friend this week is very sad, but she was in her early 70s and we all have to die sometime. But the friend who died last year of cancer who graduated from college with me (and left a 15-month daughter) really shook me up.

It doesn't help that I work at an academic medical center, where we hear about all the worst cases of every rare disease!

Jo
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools