Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Rachel won't walk.

Reply Post New Topic

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 03-07-05 | 01:57 PM
  • I think I have an answer though. I have an appt with the doctor tomorrow to rule out something more serious, but she said its probably this. The article I found says hip pain but the doctor said it can be in the feet or knees. (And now I feel horrible for thinking its just Rachel trying to be babied or stay home from school

)

Toxic Synovitis of the Hip

Toxic synovitis is one of the many causes of hip pain in young children. It is most common in boys between the ages of 2 and 10 years and frequently follows an upper respiratory infection. It is a self-limited inflammatory process probably related to a viral infection. Typically, a child with toxic synovitis will complain of pain in affected hip with limited motion and muscle spasm. The child may limp or even refuse to bear any weight on the leg. A low-grade fever is not uncommon.

Toxic synovitis is often difficult to distinguish from an infected joint or rheumatoid arthritis. These more serious conditions should be ruled out when diagnosing a child with toxic synovitis. Blood tests can be helpful in determining the cause of a child’s hip pain. Hip x-rays of the child with toxic synovitis will be normal.

Toxic synovitis is treated with rest and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (Ibuprofen). A child with significant pain may be placed on complete bed rest for 2-3 days until the pain subsides. Milder symptoms may resolve with less stringent restrictions, such as limiting running and jumping activities for four weeks.

By definition, toxic synovitis resolves on its own leaving the child a normal hip. Once the inflammation subsides the child may return to normal activity without restrictions.
  • Paula74 Paula74's Avatar 03-08-05 | 10:47 AM
  • Oh my! That sounds so painful

Good luck with your appt Sharyn.
  • Diane1212 Diane1212's Avatar 03-08-05 | 12:31 PM
  • Sharyn, I am checking back to see what the doctor said. How's Rachel?
  • sarabrydges sarabrydges's Avatar 03-08-05 | 03:40 PM
  • oh no!! poor pumpkin!! Let us know!
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 03-08-05 | 06:10 PM
  • The doctor confirmed that its most likely Toxic Synovitis but also sent us over to a lab for blood tests just to be sure its not something else. From what I can find, Toxic Synovitis is what they diagnosis when they can't find anything else.

But she did have a virus preceding this so it probably correct. He said it may take another week or so for it to go away. Her school has been very helpful. She went yesterday and they pushed her around in a chair with wheels whenever they went out of the room. She can't use crutches because both feel & legs hurt. She missed today's class fieldtrip to the zoo though

Rachel will stand on one heel and the toes or side of the other foot. At least she's off the ground sometimes! Its hard to go potty when you can't stand to pull down your panties.

So thats the scoop! Good that there is a "real" reason for this but bad that it may take a while to clear up.