Baby Corner

Old 08-25-09, 08:28 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default Reflux?...

Our precious baby Hope has had a rough couple of days- hardly sleeping at all (and of course that means we've hardly slept too). I had mother's intuition that something was just not right, and DH didn't want to run to the Dr., but we went in this morning and I am so glad we did. It seems our little lady has reflux- which makes total sense. She has only been able to sleep in upright positions and has exhibited some pain. She was hungry all the time- so we were giving her more, but that just makes it worse. We know now that it was probably because breast milk acts as an antacid, not that she was hungry. The doc suggested giving her only 2 ounces at a time, burping her alot, and getting her elevated as much as possible. We already propped the crib, but when we prop it too much she rolls to the bottom, lol. Any suggestions for this? We bought a sleep positioner, but she is a wiggle worm so it doesn't work (plus she likes to be swaddled when she sleeps). He also suggested putting a tiny amount of rice cereal in her bottle with the breast milk to help keep the milk in her tummy- anyone else done this at only 5 weeks? We really want to do anything we can to help- so I need suggestions! I am SO glad I listened to my gut feeling and took her to see the doc- when I got home and read about reflux in my baby books she exhibits many of the symtoms, although luckily it isn't too bad a case.
TIA!

Heidi

PS- she also gained another 8 oz!

Old 08-25-09, 08:42 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

I'm glad she's gaining so well!

Go, Hope, go!!

Our first DD had reflux pretty badly and she slept upright in the swing or in her car seat for the first 6 weeks or so. It was the only way she could get decent rest.

If you want to keep laying her in the crib, you can roll up a small blanket and put it underneath her legs. Do you lay her on her back? If so, just lift her little legs and put a small, rolled blanket (or a large washcloth/small hand towel) under her buns to keep her from sliding down in the crib.

My sister's new son has reflux and the ped suggested burping him after every ounce. She said that seems to be helping a little bit.

I don't know if I'd do rice in the bottle yet but if your ped recommended it, then it might be worth a try. I've heard 1 Tbsp per ounce of milk/formula.

You can also try infant massage to increase digestion. That helps their little bellies, too.

Good luck. It sounds like she's growing well so if you can get the painful episodes under control, she'll be even more perfect!

Thank you Dopey406!
Mark'sbabygirl (08-26-09)

Old 08-26-09, 03:06 AM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Is she in pain or just awake? My Pediatrician said we could give Everett 1/4 tsp of Maalox to calm what she suspected was reflux. All babies spit up a bit and I didn't think his was bad and so I never tried the Maalox. What we did try first and kept using because it worked was Gripe Water. Everett had colic symptoms of uncontrollable screaming for hours at exactly the same time every night. It varied with how long it would last, but it was always at least 1-2 hours. Sometimes much longer. It went away at exactly 3 months (to the day!). Gripe water worked very well and would calm him so we never tried the Maalox.

Everett would reflux in his sleep if I laid him flat. I was so afraid he would asphyxiate! He wouldn't wake up when he did this, so I don't think it caused him pain. What I did was put his boppy on a blanket, swaddle him up and prop him up in there. Then I'd fold and wrap the blanket under the boppy over him and tuck the edges up and around the sides. I always felt like I was short sheeting his little bed! This would keep him propped up so he couldn't wiggle down. You have to be very careful with such things obviously. He would sleep right next to me like that and I'm a very light sleeper. It really helped him to be able to sleep well at night. During the day he still prefers to sleep in his swing.

I've seen wedge cushions with a harness type sling built into them for babies to keep them from falling down.

I'm a purist and would try everything I could think of before putting cereal in the bottle. Early feeding of "solids" can make a child have allergies they wouldn't have if they are delayed. Reflux is usually caused by having an immature digestive tract. It doesn't quite make sense to me to introduce foods that a baby wouldn't normally be able to ingest until they are closer to a yr old when their digestive tract is obviously immature.

You can also try eliminating foods from your diet and seeing if that helps. I've known people that swear it does. My kids spit up issues (and with my girls it was projectile vomiting!) were always more of a laundry problem as they didn't seem in pain by it and grew correctly for them.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for her!

Laura

Thank you LAB!

Old 08-26-09, 10:25 AM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 87.14%

Danielle had reflux and didn't spit up hardly at all, you could just hear and see she was in pain when she ate and we had some serious mommy is on the edge nights of her crying for hours on end. Our dr put us on a Rx and within 36 hours she was a happy pain free baby.
Thank you Valleygirl!

Old 08-26-09, 02:28 PM
is cancer free :)
Community Member

Thanked 432 Times
Weekly Activity 65.71%

I've had no experience with this - I hear from friends that it can be rough - Deanna and Lab offered some great suggestions - I would certainly look into Rx if none of the suggestions seems to be helping over a period of time. Good luck!
Thank you amitrat!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools