Baby Corner

Old 03-14-06, 04:39 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%
Question Thinking about a dog...

We've been contemplating getting a dog for some time (I may have even posted about this before). The kids are always asking for one and Andrew has just about worn us down. I didn't have pets growing up and I would like for my kids to have them. DH is the last hold-out, but he's really starting to talk about it now, too.

So, my question is what kind of dog should we get? I've been doing a lot of research on this, but would like to hear from some dog-owners what you have or have had and why you would or would not recommend it.

A couple of the biggest criteria for us are: 1) MUST be wonderful with children - obviously; 2) Dh doesn't want one that's too big, though I personally would love a lab; 3) minimal shedding; 4) minimal grooming; 5) easy going temperament - okay with the days we're gone for a while and it's home alone, okay to travel with us, etc.

So, let's hear it! Give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

Old 03-14-06, 05:45 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1412%

Labs can be VERY hyper. I would suggest getting one thats 6mo or more so you will be able to see her temperment and also you wouldn't have to deal with potty training.

When Rachel was 4 I told her she could get a dog when she was 8 & she's never let me forget it! I don't know if we can convince DH to get another dog though!

Old 03-14-06, 06:10 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

We have a lab shepherd mix, and she is great with kids. She is just so sweet, the best dog ever. She is only about 9, but she is looking and acting old already, I'm not sure how much longer we'll have her. She meets your requirements except for the shedding and easy travel. We do have quite a bit of dog hair to clean up. As far as travel, we've never really taken her anywhere except short car trips.

She is super friendly, but can be a little intimidating if you don't know her, because she will run straight towards anyone, which can be frightening to some people, even though she just wants to say hello.

My inlaws have a miniature schnauzer, and he is a great dog, too.

Old 03-14-06, 06:32 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1412%

Diane, my friend has a giant Dobie & a giant Great Dane that run at you like your dog does. I know they are friendly but still that much dog running at you is a bit intimidating!

BTW for anybody interested, Huskies don't bark at the door! Its nice not to have that noise all the time!

Old 03-14-06, 10:21 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

My opinion is to avoid the whole dog thing

- we are so much better off since Lilo has gone to stay with our friends grandma - we can visit her whenever we want and the kids are not asking for a dog anymore... It is difficult to find a dog that meets all the criteria that many families need - Lilo was good with the kids, minimal to no shedding (but required grooming on a bi-monthly basis) - but she ran off all the time and distroyed stuff in the house when left alone. Any kind of a terrier does not like to be left alone - they are such a social dog that they constantly need to be around people. She did travel well though - with the exception of taking off any opportunity that she got.

Remember all the doggie doo doo needs to be picked up so the kids can play in the yard (everyone said they were going to pick it up before we got the dog - but no one but me ever did). When it is really cold or raining and crappy outside no one wants to walk the dog...

Good luck in your search - I hope that you find something that meets all your needs if you choose to get one - you can probably find a lot of information doing a google search...

A woman that I work with has two whippets and they are wonderful dogs - they do well at home alone - are great with kids - they travel well (they go every where with them). They are not the prettiest looking dog - kind of so ugly they are cute kind of look to them - but they are so personable and adorable. They are on the large end of the medium size dog - not as big as a lab - but mostly because they are so slim. Here is a link to a site with some pictures - I'm sure you can find more links... If you'd like to know anything else about the Whipet's I can ask her any questions you'd like. They have had both these dogs for quite some time now.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools