Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers Tracy, a nosy question if you don't mind...

Tracy, a nosy question if you don't mind...

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-01-04, 06:58 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%
Default Tracy, a nosy question if you don't mind...

I noticed the DI tag in your signature. Were all of your kids conceived using DI? Was your DD & if so did you use sperm that had been separated for sex selection?

Tell me to go away if I'm prying too much!

Old 09-06-04, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Not a problem at all --

All of my kids were conceived the "natural" way until we got to Mia. My dh and I both carry a recessive genetic disorder and didn't realize it until ds #6. He was born totally normal and healthy (at home with our Midwife, because that's the way I do it). He started showing signs of not being able to breathe properly when only about 45 minutes old. He spent the next 15 days in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) before dying of this EXTREMELY rare condition called Hereditary Surfactant Protein B Deficiency. He lacked the proper genes to ever make surfactant, which is the "stuff" that makes our lungs work properly. The next year while 6 months pg, I found out that I was pg with my first dd and I was elated until the amnio results told us that she had the same thing and would die too...

I carried her to term and she died in my arms at 13 hours of life.

We REALLY were afraid to try again, but did and conceived a healthy son (Milo, my '98 baby) and then had a surprise ds in Jacob (2000). Jacob was not supposed to live - the geneticists told us they only gave him a 10% chance. Somehow he is fine today (I thank God for it) and although we wanted one more child, we really didn't want to tempt fate.

We chose a donor from Fairfax, VA and used Microsort for the sperm separation to the tune of $7,000. I traveled to VA/D.C. and had the procedure and they totally ripped me off. They triggered me to ovulate on an immature follicle and basically wasted $7,000 on the spot.

I would never trust them again!

We then heard that our local (10 miles from here!!!) clinic was separating sperm too. They don't have as high of a % success, but they do it. We paid the high fees for that for a couple of cycles and I didn't get pg. Finally after big $, a m/c and lots of time (I was 38 and the clock was ticking) we went on a whim and went totally natural - no drugs, no separation, and used home ICIs. I got pg that cycle and luckily it was my little angel girl!!

DI is a miracle for so many of us!! Sorry that was so darn long!

I really condensed it too!

Old 09-07-04, 12:46 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Wow, what an incredible story! I'm so sorry for the loss of your two little ones, what a heart wrenching ordeal that must have been. I can't imagine what you went through. But what a miracle that you have your beautiful children. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-08-04, 06:21 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Wow if you are both carriers the fact that you had 7 (or 6?) children that don't have it is truly a miracle. Thanks for sharing your story.

I wonder why sperm separation is so expensive there. My sister used DI to try for her girl & I don't know the cost but I know it wasn't that much more than unseparated.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools