Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers Transitioning to toddler bed?

Transitioning to toddler bed?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-06-10, 09:05 AM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 3069.09%
Default Transitioning to toddler bed?

Have any of you succesfully done this yet? (I think I have seen it before that some of you have) Kendall will be 2 a week from tomorrow.

Is there a "right" age you should start having them transition? She has never actually climbed out of her crib.

This weekend I had Dh take the drop side off & lower the mattress just to see what she thought of it. She seemed very intrigued & would climb up in it on her own. But when bedtime came around, we put a baby gate up at her door & then tucked her in. Two secinds later, her favoriate "uncle" and some other of our friends showed up & she heard them. She was standing at the gate going "Johnny? Johnny?" So we let her come out & say hello; she ended up staying up for another hour, lol! We tried the toddler bad again & immediatly got up at stood at the gate. We decided to put the drop-side back on b/c everytime one of us went into the kitchen or bathroom, she would see/hear us. One of our friends is a nanny, so we asked her & she agreed that it was not a good time to try it with all the people over & then said it can take up to 3 weeks for the transistion phase to be over!

We are going out of town at the end of this month. I am thinking we should wait until after that. What about ya'll? Have you done this yet? Do you have any advice or tips?

Old 07-06-10, 11:21 AM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 1700.91%

We did it about 6 months ago. It was the day after Theron woke us up by climbing into our bed (meaning he had climbed our of his crib!). We did put a gate up on his door so he wouldn't wake up and wonder around the house. The transition was easy as could be! Sometimes, more so after we first took the side off, we'd come to bed and find him asleep in his doorway. He hardly does that anymore at all though.
Thank you raabta01!
MrsS1stbaby (07-07-10)

Old 07-06-10, 05:16 PM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I would definitely wait until you get back home from your trip if you want to start transitioning to a toddler bed.

Preston turned 2 back in February and he is still in his crib. He's happy, sleeps well and doesn't climb out. So we plan on keeping him in the crib for a while longer. I would guess we'll move him into a big boy bed in the fall or early winter. He did try to climb out once and ended up falling out of the crib (before he was even two). He hasn't tried climbing out since then though so we've just left him in the crib.
Thank you Jen_C!
MrsS1stbaby (07-07-10)

Old 07-06-10, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 28.18%

I would keep her right there till she climbs out of the crib... or needs to be able to get up for potty purposes.
I'm a late toddler bed transitioner. Matthew was 3 before we did the conversion, and Josh was 2 1/2 I believe.
Most people do it sooner; I didn't see any reason to. With both of us working f/t outside the home, and me being totally on my own in the evening and at night, I neeeeed my sleep.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you 3Princes!
MrsS1stbaby (07-07-10)

Old 07-06-10, 10:58 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 5.45%

Lukas is still in the crib. He started climbing out of his crib at 22 months, so I put on a crib tent to keep him in his bed. I'm inclined to keep him in his crib with the tent until he's a little better about listening to and following directions. He's a loose cannon right now, and I think starting the toddler bed much before 3 (or until he starts potty training) will cause us too many issues.
2 Users Says Thank You
3Princes (07-08-10), MrsS1stbaby (07-07-10)

Latest Articles
Boost Your Fertility With Diet
Boosting your chances of conceiving can be as simple as making a few changes in your nutrition and diet, starting today.

Humor in Pregnancy and Parenthood a Necessity!
There sure are stressful times during pregnancy, and in being a parent, but humor in pregnancy and parenthood is a must have if you're going to survive!

Baby Development: When Will Baby Be Rolling Over
Find out when to expect your baby to roll over, how to know he's ready, and how to keep your baby safe when the rolling begins.

When Becoming Parents Kills Your Coupledom
It's a common problem after baby arrives to forget about the most important part of your family: Your Marriage. Find out why marriages seem to fall apart after baby, and how to get back to being the couple you once were.

How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools