Baby Corner

Old 09-15-09, 09:59 PM
Mom to Eli and Owen

Thanked 55 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Tubes

Hiya

Well, we just got diagnosed with another ear infection (chronic here.) And we got the ok for tubes. Anyone done this yet? I'm trying not to be nervous.

Old 09-16-09, 12:13 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Leanne, I hope things go smoothly. My oldest DD had 5 sets of PE Tubes in both ears. In our case, the tubes fell out the first 2 times for no reason; and they needed to be replaced. It does help out a lot with ear infections. The surgery itself is about 45 mins, and we had the option of carrying DD into the OR and placing her on the table. The tend to schedule the younger children first thing in the morning since they havent had anything to eat or drink after midnight. I remember there being a lot of drainage afterwards, and there will be for quite some time. I remember there would also be drainage for no reason sometimes. I dont remember DD ever being in any pain, but I think they do give you an antibotic afterwards to prevent infection....And that stuff was really nasty smelling and it was hard to give to DD. Maybe you can get it in another flavor, times may have changed in the 5 years that its been. My DD also had a little trouble in the recovery room afterwards, but not all children react the same after anesthesia. So PM me if you want to discuss that part of it. Just make sure that you are careful bathing, swimming etc and excess water does not get into the ears. Our doc gave us a little visor to wear in the bathtub while I was washing her hair, so water didnt run into the ears. Sorry didnt mean to write a book here, but hope everything goes well.

Old 09-16-09, 12:14 AM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Weekly Activity 4.9%

My sister had them when she was really little. She had issues with them, but I also had a few cousins who've had them and they did just fine! I'm sure they will help and you'll see results in no time!

Oh, and if he goes in the tub or goes swimming, etc, he may have to wear ear plugs. I'm sure your Dr will go over all that with you.

Old 09-16-09, 02:31 AM
is shocked!
Moma to 3 amazing kids!

Thanked 986 Times
Weekly Activity 21.22%

Ds2 has them. He got them in when he was 16 months old. He couldnt eat anything after midnight and his surg was very early the next day. We got there they gave him this stuff to kinda make him loopy lol (it was very funny to watch) then the anest guy came and got him. We did not get to carry him to the OR but that was fine by me. The procedure took about 30-45 then they came and got me to go to the recovery room. He was there about an hour then got to go to the room. We were home by 12. They gave us some antibiotics and that was it. He is now 4 and still has them in. He had chronic ear infections and since he has had them in has only had 2 ear infections since. The one in his left ear is about to come out and he will more than likely have to have them redone. It was not a big deal for us. DS handled it very well. I am so thankful that we did it. He didnt have to be careful with water or swimming or bathing or anything. The doctor said that he could do anything he wanted with no restrictions. Hope this helps. PM me if I can help. Good luck LeAnne.

Old 09-16-09, 09:28 AM
is tired of sneezing
Mommy to 2 Boys

Thanked 117 Times
Weekly Activity 33.47%

DS1 has them and on his second set of tubes I was nervous but it was really a breeze
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools