Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers UGH more nanny drama (not too horrible)

UGH more nanny drama (not too horrible)

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 08-30-04, 08:07 PM
Another busy mom

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default UGH more nanny drama (not too horrible)

I got a call from a friend who is a nanny. She does a lot of playdates with our nanny (Annie) and the kids. They had a playdate last Thursday and apparently Annie was very short-tempered with the kids. Kaylie had mentioned to me over dinner that night that she'd had a rough day but didn't elaborate too much except to say that Annie had disciplined her for something she'd said to CJ. I didn't think too much of it until my friend called.

My friend also expressed concern that Annie's personal life is chaotic now, with lots of men and evening partying, and perhaps some illicit substances. I asked if she thought our nanny was bringing these things into our home or it was a problem during work hours, and she said she didn't think so. But she did say she thought that the evening activities were affecting Annie's professionalism and energy level at work.

My FIL said he has observed a shorter temper on our nanny's part and Annie seems to be on the phone (presumably with men) more than in the past.

I was super worried, and then took Kaylie out for ice cream and quizzed her about how things were going. Kaylie said Annie was cranky Thursday but usually isn't very cranky. She said she gets along well with Annie and doesn't think Annie uses the phone much. She even commented that Annie complained one afternoon when the phone rang repeatedly in the afternoon. I asked if Kaylie thought CJ was getting along ok with Annie, and she thought CJ was doing ok too.

So... I'm planning to talk with Annie tonight, to let her know that we have observed she has been more stressed and cranky lately. She has obviously lost weight, and I'll mention we're worried about her health, whether she's getting enough rest, etc. She starts her bachelor's degree classes in a couple of weeks, which provides a perfect excuse for me to express concern about her personal life and stress level. And, I'll indicate that we are concerned that whatever personal stress she is experiencing has affected her work, and she needs to not let that happen.

I've had a really good relationship with Annie over the years so I think if I can signal to her that she can't be complacent about her job she'll shape up very quickly. And, we'll all keep a closer eye on her interactions with the kids to make sure things improve. FIL is around the house a lot, and our nanny friend will continue to have playdates with her. I've got a good group of spies!

Any thoughts? I'd certainly appreciate any advice! We have 2 more years before CJ is in kindy, at which point we'll probably rely on after-school care at their school and/or my MIL will work PT to help out. MIL could switch to PT work sooner, but we've thought we could hold off on that a few more years.

Jo

Old 08-30-04, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I think you're handling it beautifully. Maybe the discussion will nudge her back to where she needs to be for your children.

Old 08-30-04, 09:55 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I think you are doing everything perfectly. Good luck with the talk and follow up with us!

Old 08-31-04, 12:43 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I also agree that your plan sounds good to talk to her, and then you can base your actions from there on her responses. I wish you luck!

Old 08-31-04, 12:43 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by :domesticgoddess:
I think you're handling it beautifully. Maybe the discussion will nudge her back to where she needs to be for your children.

I agree! I think you have a good plan and having some good "spies" is always a good thing!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools