Baby Corner

Old 08-04-09, 10:07 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 6138.18%
Default What is up with my child?

Kendall is just a few weeks over 1 year now. She has been sleeping a lot and pooping a lot. I thought I read their growth rate slows down about this age, so why all the sleeping?

Last night I tried putting her down early, at 8:30pm, and she slept until about 6:15am, but then fell back alseep from about 6:30-7:00am, when I had to leave for work. My mom had to put her back down at 8:00am b/c she was fussing & rubbng her eyes & Kendall slept for another 2 hours! Then 2 more 1 hour each naps and then bed again tonight at 8:30pm! My mom says she has been consistently taking about 3 naps every day, but on the weekends she does her normal 2 for us. I don't know what is going on. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?

My mom also said Kendall had 3 stinky diapers today and she had a fourth for us tonight. We've added more dairy to her diet in the form of cottage cheese, etc plus the whole milk-could this be causing her to poop more??

Old 08-04-09, 10:36 PM
is having another baby! Holy cow!!
Community Member

Thanked 196 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.82%

I personally wouldn't be concerned. The more pooping can be an adjustment to the added dairy. I'd imagine that would even out once her body adjusts to the change in diet. There's no harm asking the doc about it if you're unsure.

As for the sleeping... some kids just like their sleep. Chloe (17 months) frequently sleeps 12-13 hours per night and 2-3 more hours in naps during the day (sometimes it's one big nap and sometimes it's 2 short ones) She will often go down for a nap 2.5 hours after she wakes up, even if she gets a full night sleep.

My niece on the other hand goes to bed at 7pm and very often wakes up at 10 or 11am the next day! She just REALLY REALLY likes to sleep. She even has 1-2 hour naps during the day. She's 10 months old.
Thank you CarolleZ!
MrsS1stbaby (08-05-09)

Old 08-04-09, 10:43 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 10.91%

Be glad you have a sleeper. My kids sleep 10 hours a night, and Lukas only takes one nap of 1-2 hours a day. I have friends whose kids still sleep 12 hours a night and take 2 two-hour naps a day. And there is a big range of normal for poop, too. Lukas averages 5 poops a day, and his personal best is 7!!!!

A lot of kids don't go to one nap a day until 15-18 months.
Thank you rudolphia!
MrsS1stbaby (08-05-09)

Old 08-05-09, 05:40 AM
is lovin her sweet baby girl
Therese, mama 2 Lucy

Thanked 280 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

I wouldn't worry about the sleeping..she's obviously a child that needs sleep and also if she's teething and she could be with the funny poop some babies sleep more while teething

if you have my Lucy who only survives on 5hrs of sleep at a time with a 2hr awake time between you wouldn't be worrying so much

Thank you mac71!
MrsS1stbaby (08-05-09)

Old 08-05-09, 08:06 AM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

I wouldnt worry about it either-- they can still listen to their bodies when they are this age

and not fight the sleep

Thank you ~Kelli~!
MrsS1stbaby (08-05-09)

Latest Articles
13 Ways to Naturally Relieve Morning Sickness
Is morning sickness getting you down? Here are 13 ways to help calm your stomach, and relieve morning sickness whether you have it in the morning, afternoon, or all day.

Milk Allergy in Infants
Sometimes it's difficult to tell if your baby is sick, or if s(he) has a milk or forumula allergy. Learn the difference, the symptoms and treatment options of milk allergies in infants.

Here's Why Eating Organic During Pregnancy Is Better
During pregnancy, it might be wise to switch to eating organic foods for the health of your baby. Learn why.

BPA Exposure and Infertility in Women
BPA seems to have an effect on infants, children, and pregnant women, and there also seems to be a link between BPA and infertility in women.

Kate Middleton Suffers Severe Morning Sickness in Second Pregnancy
Kate Middleton is once again experiencing severe morning sickness, or hyperemesis gravidarum, in her second pregnancy.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations nwad2470!

Calculators & Tools